Why You Should Join Her Campus UVic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

University can be tough. Adult life comes right at you, all at once. Sometimes, you need some extra support and encouragement to really thrive. The biggest piece of advice new students will hear for finding that support is this: “Join a club.”

It’s good advice! One step out of your comfort zone, and you can be surrounded by people with the same interests as you, of all ages, able to give you advice, comfort and friendship. It’s cheesy, but Her Campus is more than a club, it’s a community. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider joining Her Campus UVic:

You’ll make campus connections.

Meeting people on campus can be difficult, especially when most people aren’t living anywhere near UVic. Through our biweekly meetings on Zoom, our team socials and our public events, you’ll be meeting people from across faculties. You might only know other business or chemistry majors right now, but by joining Her Campus UVic, you’ll be meeting people who study education, anthropology, engineering, visual arts and more!

It looks great on a resume!

Okay, so not everyone joins clubs to make friends… some people are here to win. At HC UVic, you’ll be able to build skills in writing, editing, leadership, communication, marketing and more! It might even be the perfect place to launch your career as an influencer. Did I mention we have TikTok now?

You’ll have the freedom to be creative.

Not super interested in writing articles? That’s totally cool. Instead, you can plan our next big event or start your own series on our YouTube channel. Whatever passion you want to nurture, we’re right there with you. At HC, we all learn and grow together!

You get to learn about the place you live.

If you didn’t grow up on Vancouver Island — and maybe even if you did — there’s probably a lot you don’t know about it. Through HC UVic, you can take on writing and video assignments that push you to explore your community. Our writers have found the best places to go on dates, the spookiest haunts and even the most aesthetic coffee shops. What will you discover?

If these things are sounding pretty good to you, we’d definitely recommend coming to our upcoming interest meeting, which we’ll be announcing shortly on all of our social media pages!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.