This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Since our original article, 10 Tips for Fun and Affordable Dates in Victoria was such a smash hit, we’ve decided to bring you a whole new list for all of you soon-to-be lovebirds out there. If you’re worried about cost; don’t worry. Just like the original article, we’re keeping these affordable”

Bike ride and picnic on Lochside Trail.

This route goes all the way from nearby Tuscany Village to the ferry terminal. Enjoy up to 55 km of biking trails through the Saanich farmlands with your date. It’s especially lovely in early autumn when the leaves are starting to fall and you can see families picking pumpkins in the patches with their little ones. There’s also a little café that offers salads and burgers with a deck overlooking one of the farmer’s fields.

Hike and lunch-to-go at Mount Doug.

Mount Doug is a popular Sunday spot for students to go hiking because it’s close enough to UVic that taking the bus isn’t unmanageable. Show off your active side by bringing your date here and enjoy the view at the top overlooking the city. The hike itself only takes 30 minutes, so bring some snacks to enjoy at the top to keep the date going.

Milkshakes and games at the Board Game Café

This is one of my personal favourite places in Victoria. Not only are board games a great ice breaker, but this café also offers the best milkshakes in town. If you want to try something unique, go for the lavender milkshake — but don’t worry if dessert isn’t your thing. There’s an extensive menu for everyone’s tastes. If you find you and your date struggling on a game, the staff is well-versed and can teach you how to play.

Poetry and drinks at Café Fantastico.

If you want to come off as cultured, good poetry will do the trick. Every Wednesday night (excluding the first Wednesday of the month), the Café Fantastico at Quadra Village hosts exceptional poetry. Whether it’s an open mic or Vic Slam, the shows are always lively and rich with eloquent words. Don’t forget to snap!

Wine and cheese platter at Cenote*.

With its exposed brick walls, dim lighting and overall hipster vibe, this underground bar is quintessential Victoria. If you want to keep your evening simple and focus on the conversation, this is a great option for you and your date to really get to know each other.

Movie and popcorn at Cinecenta.

If straying too far from campus stresses you out, do not be alarmed, for we have been gifted with our very own movie theatre. Cinecenta is located in the SUB and offers a mix of new releases and oldies. Take a look at what flicks are coming up and plan your date accordingly.

Wander through the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, followed by drinks or dinner.

Explore the art gallery at  one of its many events, or opt for a regular evening to get a  quieter experience. Then, if you and your date want to extend the date longer, walk further downtown towards the waterfront and grab dinner or drinks. For dinner, definitely check out either Be Love restaurant or Rebar. For drinks, The Mint is great option.

Brunch at Nourish, followed by a walk along the Ogden Point Breakwater.

Who said brunch can’t be romantic? As this city is the brunch capital of Canada, it only seems fair that brunch would qualify as a date. Nourish in particular has a lovely aesthetic. Located in an old heritage house by the waterfront, you could even visit the breakwater after finishing your meal.

Tea and treats at Murchie’s or the The Oaks Restaurant.

Tea is a classic Victoria affair. Try a range of local teas (supplied by Silk Road) with your date and be sure to try one of their pastries.

The Bubble Tea Place on Fisgard Street, followed by a walk through Fan Tan Alley and Market Square.

There’s a fantastic bubble tea bar on Fisgard Street. No, seriously, there’s a literal bar to sit at and order your bubble tea. The shop is super spacious and has a rustic vibe that you and your date will surely enjoy. If you feel like going for a walk after, wander through the many alleyways in Chinatown or explore Market Square.

What was your favourite suggestion from our list?  Share your thoughts in the comments below.

*Must be legal drinking age 

Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.