This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Many university students can no doubt relate to feeling disconnected from their school. With packed schedules that can scarcely accommodate any free time, most students tend to fall into the cycle of class, study, eat, sleep, repeat. Although, there is a way to get more involved with your school with very little effort- go see a school play!

Most universities have a theatre program. I know, it’s hard to believe, but if you scroll to the very bottom of the list of majors, I almost guarantee that you’ll find it. Maybe you used to like performing in talent shows or creating skits with your cousins in order to convince your parents to have a sleepover, or maybe the idea of performing sends chills up your spine, regardless, the theatre department will welcome you. If you don’t choose to study or perform theatre, you can always support those who do.

Theatre departments usually have multiple plays of varying scales of production throughout the year. This could include mainstage plays by published playwrights, student-written plays, improv shows, and more! It takes almost no effort to support theatre students, and you’ll feel more involved with your school! For those who aren’t interested in fine arts, you probably haven’t even stepped foot in the theatre building. I remember going for a tour at UVic back in high school and the guide didn’t take us near the theatre because even he didn’t know where it was.

Seeing plays is classy and cool, and who doesn’t want to be classy and cool? Performances don’t have to be up to Broadway standards to be entertaining and worthwhile. It’s something to fill up your evenings, and most school plays don’t exceed two hours in length. If you’re a student at the university, there also can be discount nights where students can watch for cheaper and/or free, and I think the word ‘free’ should be convincing enough.

Now, I know, I know, theatre kids have a reputation. I’m saying this as a theatre kid. We’ve all heard them singing Hamilton in the hallways or being stereotypically geeky, but when you see them onstage you have to admit that they do well. And hey, almost every famous actor in the world started off as just another theatre student. Therefore, go and support one, and maybe you’ll befriend the next Timothée Chalamet!If you belong to my particular university (Go Vikes!), I can attest to the fact that there is an abundance of opportunities to go watch student theatre. The University of Victoria has a student-run theatre company called the Student Alternative Theatre Company (SatCo), an improv team, and three mainstage productions each year! As the school year is rolling to a close, there still is one final production yet to come. The Theatre department is going timeless and performing Shakespeare’s Women, which involves an accumulation of scenes from William Shakespeare’s original work picked by playwright Libby Appel. These productions are the biggest on campus, and you didn’t hear it from me, but the final show of the year is usually the best and brightest. If you have any interest in theatre, Shakespeare, extravagant costumes, or being involved in your community, make sure to check this one out!  It runs March 17th-26th, 2022, but if you find yourself just too busy with finals to take my advice, don’t worry, like I said, there are plenty of opportunities to go next year!

Nicole H

U Vic '24