Why Every UVic Student Should Know About the Digital Scholarship Commons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

UVic has tons of resources to offer its students. Having such a wide range of services is great, but one of the drawbacks is that it can be difficult to be aware of what’s available to you. Today, I’d like to spread the word about one little-known resource called the Digital Scholarship Commons (DSC).

Located on the third floor of the McPherson Library, the Digital Scholarship Commons is a workshop venue and makerspace open to UVic students who want to learn about technology.

The DSC is staffed with programmers, IT experts, and tech whizzes to help you learn the ropes of things like 3D printing, HTML, and electronic devices. The staff can answer questions, help you during workshops, or troubleshoot any electronic issues.

Also available to students is a range of tools that may either be borrowed from the Music and Media desk on the first floor of the library, such as video cameras and VR goggles, or used in the DSC, like the 3D printer (which prints jobs daily, by the way). The DSC also provides items such as computer workstations, a green screen, and precision screwdriver sets for in-house use. This incredible arsenal of tools, combined with the imagination and ingenuity of students, makes for enormous creative potential in this space.

Recently, my Writing 324: Interactive Narrative class attended a workshop at the DSC about making branching narratives with a free program called Twine. Branching narratives are the sort of thing you find in Choose Your Own Adventure books, wherein you have agency as a character and can decide where the narrative leads. Twine is used to create digital branching narratives that can be uploaded and accessed online. With the help of experts Rich and Alexis, we enriched our Twine stories by adding CSS design elements, inserting pictures, and embedding videos.

Instead of listening to a lecturer, DSC workshop participants are asked to watch a video before the session and are given a reference sheet to guide them during the workshop. The workshop facilitators walk around the room and give help as needed, but participants work at their own pace, for the most part. This allows for greater creativity and a more hands-on experience. Other workshop topics include 3D printing, Photoshop, Arduino, and RStudio. Check here for upcoming workshop dates!

One of the most critical ways to make the most of your education is to seize every opportunity offered to you as a student. Who knows when you’ll next have a similar menagerie of technology at your fingertips? Head over to the library, check out some equipment, and create!

For more information about what the Digital Scholarship Commons has to offer, check out the link to their website above. If you’d like to stop by in person, they’re open Monday to Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and their other availability can be viewed here.

All images sourced from the DSC’s Facebook page, located here.

Originally from Surrey, British Columbia, Arianna Cheveldave is a fourth-year student at the University of Victoria. As a writing major with a professional communication minor, Arianna is proud to be the managing editor of Her Campus at UVic. She loves Italian food, national flags, and having a clean desk. When not locked in her room studying, she enjoys choral singing, watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and reading things that aren't textbooks. Depending on the occasion, she is known to always have ready a quick remark, a listening ear, or a bad pun.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison