Which Movie Musical You Should Watch Based on Your Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Sometimes you need a little bit of song and dance to fend off the winter blues and escape for a while. Awaken (or reawaken) your inner theatre kid, grab a snack, and let these movie musicals transport you to their magical, melodic worlds.

Aries – Moulin Rouge (2001)

Aries are known for being bold, and this movie absolutely encompasses that.

Taurus – Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

Singin’ in the Rain is an easygoing classic that is sure to entertain even those who detest musicals.

Gemini – Grease (1978)

What better movie for the twin sign than a musical about duality and the willingness to change and grow (and start wearing very tight pants)?

Cancer – The Sound of Music (1965)

A beautiful musical best suited for people with taste. Make sure to follow up your viewing by finding a hill and frolicking in the grass.

Leo – Cats (2019)

The drama, the music, the memes. Even though it was hated in its own time, this movie is sure to be a future classic.

Virgo – Mary Poppins (1964)

You’re a bit of a perfectionist, right? Maybe you’re… practically perfect? I promise this movie is the spoonful of sugar that you need right now.

Libra – Chicago (2002)

Rouge your knees and pull your stockings down because this sexy and glamourous musical romp is perfect for a Libra.

Scorpio – Cabaret (1972)

This musical is chaotic at first glance, but a close look proves it to be an intelligent and thoughtful film… with a lot of chaos.

Sagittarius – Mamma Mia (2008)

This free-spirited and beloved jukebox musical is sure to sweep you off your feet.

Capricorn – Hairspray (2007)

Capricorns, just like Hairspray’s Tracy, are focused and strong-willed. Also, everyone deserves a bit of Zac Efron in their life.

Aquarius – Les Mis (2012)

Les Mis and the Aquarius sign are a match made in heaven. Those born under the Aquarius sign are revolutionaries and free-thinkers; Les Mis is quite literally about a revolution.

Pisces –  Rent (2005)

You love to feel things and get wrapped up in stories. Rent is the perfect movie for that.

Didn’t see your favourite musical here? Well, go ahead and watch that one too! Unless it’s The Prom, then I am begging you, just listen to the soundtrack or watch a bootleg of the Broadway production. Ryan Murphy’s The Prom is where I draw the line.  If musicals aren’t really your thing right now, check out “What Netflix Original Show You Should Watch Based on Your Star Sign.

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.