This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Calling all Formula One fans, are you ready for it? After a long and boring winter break, we are officially closer to that time of the year when it’s “lights out and away we go”, with F1 testing starting on February 20th.

Throughout the past few weeks, Formula One teams have taken to social media to reveal their cars for the coming season, and after some shocking rumours and contract reveals, fans have begun to contemplate the future of their favourite drivers. 

New seasons bring new possibilities, so here’s a list of everything you should watch out for before the drivers line up on the grid in Bahrain on March 2nd.

Will Max Verstappen Continue His Dominance?

All existing Formula One fans are certain about one thing: over the past two consecutive seasons, Max Verstappen has been unbeatable.

After a very exciting title fight against Lewis Hamilton back in 2021, Max Verstappen’s confidence with Red Bull has grown into full-on track dominance, winning a total of 19 out of the 22 races last season. Going into 2024, if Red Bull can continue to provide Verstappen with a winning car, that dominance will likely continue, but there is always a chance other teams have upgraded their car over the break, and many drivers are eager to beat Verstappen.

Back in 2022, Charles Leclerc’s race-winning Ferrari led him to two first-place podiums at the start of the season, showcasing a series of riveting wheel-to-wheel battles with Red Bull’s golden boy, but as the season progressed Ferrari’s strategy calls and unreliability led Leclerc to lose the championship lead. Will Leclerc get a chance at the title again this year? Will Max Verstappen’s teammate Sergio Perez rise to the occasion? Will McLaren’s Lando Norris finally get his first race win? Everything is possible at this moment in time, so keep an eye out for those who are willing to take risks and end up on top.

McLaren is in Their Reputation Era

About halfway through the 2023 season, McLaren shocked fans when young drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri went from barely getting points to achieving regular podiums by the end of the year.

Although they were never fast enough to beat Verstappen in a Red Bull, they both managed to collect seven podium finishes by the end of 2023, prompting a lot of McLaren fans to be hopeful for the 2024 season. Oscar Piastri, only a rookie last year, managed to place on multiple podiums himself, going on to win the sprint race at the 2023 Qatar Grand Prix. It is expected that Norris and Piastri will be with McLaren for years to come due to recent contract extensions, so it’s safe to say they’ll be very competitive in the coming season.

The McLaren team has also only exuded confidence when it comes to their 2024 car, taking to social media to do an early surprise launch at the end of January. They deleted all their posts on every platform to announce their new livery, following in the footsteps of pop star icon Taylor Swift by launching their “reputation era.” Many fans are speculating that due to this newfound confidence, McLaren could be a title contender for 2024, so make sure to watch out for the youngest driver pairing on the grid, as they are hungry for more success.

One Last Time for Carlos Sainz and Lewis Hamilton

On February 1st, all motorsport fans were shocked to hear that 7-time world champion, Lewis Hamilton, was ending his contract with Mercedes to race with Ferrari in the 2025 season.

Even after signing a contract extension with Mercedes last August, after 11 years of partnership with the team, Lewis Hamilton decided to cut ties with the team and race in red alongside Charles Leclerc. This means that the 2024 season will be Hamilton’s last year with Mercedes, and due to his early departure, it poses a lot of questions about the strength of their car. Hamilton is expected to give his all for his last season, but his abrupt move to a rival team, it has Mercedes fans wondering where in the standings they’ll be when the season is over.

This also means that current Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz is without a seat next year. Of course, there is still a possibility that he’ll find a seat with another team before 2025, but until that announcement is made this year could be seen as Sainz’s last season in Formula One. It could be his last year with a race-winning car, so many expect him to race hard for good results in 2024.

There’s a Seat Open… Who Wants In?

Since Lewis Hamilton has decided to leave Mercedes, there is officially a seat opening at the end of 2024 with the team that many drivers, both on and off the current grid, are hoping to grab. 

The best part about that open seat is the fact that more than half of the current grid have their contracts ending in December. Drivers like Sergio Perez, Fernando Alonso, Pierre Gasly, Esteban Ocon, Logan Sargeant, Valtteri Bottas, Zhou Guanyu, Daniel Ricciardo, Yuki Tsunoda, Kevin Magnussen, AND Nico Hulkenberg are going to be either extending their contracts with their current teams or looking for a new seat. The Mercedes reserve driver, Mick Schumacher, is also thought to be an option for the 2025 season.

Hamilton’s moving to Ferrari showed Formula One fans that no driver’s future is certain. His departure will cause a giant chain reaction as other drivers will begin to hop from team to team throughout the year. Pay attention to who your favourite driver is talking to within the paddock, and how they address certain teams in interviews and press conferences, it could be a hint to where they’ll be next year! The best way to approach the 2024 Formula One season is to expect the unexpected, it’s gonna be a fun ride.

Jess Legati is the Marketing and Publicity director with the Her Campus @ U Vic chapter. Her job is to oversee the promotion and marketing of events that her chapter plans to host within their campus and community. Outside Her Campus, Jess is a third-year writing student at UVIC with a minor in digital and interactive media in the arts. She has worked with Her Campus as a writer in past years and released her first-ever self-written EP titled Touch the Sky, in 2022. In her time at UVIC, she has received two in-course awards from her department: the UVIC Bookstore Scholarship in Writing, and the Mary Aitken Legacy Scholarship in Writing. Jess spends most of her free time following the intense world of Formula One racing, but outside of motorsport, she is a chill gal who loves singing, playing guitar, and hanging out with her friends. She is super fond of fictional series like Marvel and Harry Potter and hopes to one day utilize her passion for visual media to write for television and film.