This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

This week’s profile is made up of a dynamic duo who are passionate about all aspects of sustainability! Meet Leat (top, second from the right), a fourth year BCom student, and Selina (top left), a second year student majoring in environmental studies and geography! They are both actively involved in the UVic Sustainability Project (UVSP). Being conscious about their effects on the environment is something Leat and Selina have always been passionate about. Ever since she could remember, Selina has found that she has always “cared about the environment, people and animals”. Leat feels the same about the world and doesn’t know how to describe it other than “[her] lifestyle” and just “a part of who [they] are”. Leat strongly believes that “wherever we go, the environment is a part of us”. 

As mentioned above, Leat and Selina work with the UVSP to change the culture surrounding sustainability across campus. The UVSP collaborates with and supports a variety of groups on campus including the Community Cabbage and Spokes program. In addition to supporting other groups on campus, the UVSP runs initiatives on its own all for the good of the environment. The Love a Mug campaign is an ongoing initiative determined to get more reusable mugs into the hands of students. These ethically sourced mugs are spill proof and durable. The UVSP also runs an organic produce program called the SPUD box. The group collaborates with local company XYZ in order to get more fresh and organic fruits and veggies to UVic Students. Ultimately, the UVSP’s mission to actively and consciously engage the community. The vision of the UVSP is a campus that does not sell any disposable cups by 2020. Leat and Selina are aware that this shift will be a challenge to implement and that it will take a lot of time and effort but are firm believers that anyone can make a difference. 

In their work with the UVSP, Selina and Leat have had the joy of organizing various events. In addition to supporting other programs, in the past semester, the UVSP released and promoted their mugs through a drop in information session in the SUB. In the near future, Leat and Selina hope to host an environmental roundtable, publish a zine and maybe even run an open house. When thinking long term, the two hope to see the sustainability project branch beyond the UVic campus and into other areas of the community, such as the Camosun campus! Overall, the UVSP focuses on the bigger impact and has a mission of informing students on how they can make an environmental difference in the world.

The UVSP provides a judgement free and inclusive space for students to learn neat skills, connect with others and network with outside resources. Want to get involved? The UVSP is always eager for new volunteers. Check out their Facebook page and website

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.