UVic Res Buildings as Fairy Tale Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Each building on residence has its own distinct personality (similar to the characters in fairy tales)! Check out the comparisons below! Please note that these are meant to be humorous and non-offensive comparisons between UVIC residence buildings and fairy tale characters. Some are named based on their neighbourhood and some are named based on the characteristics of the building.

Craigdarrogh Neighbourhood

David Thompson aka Shrek, because while it may not look nice at first, it will probably improve as you get to know it better.

Sir Arthur Currie aka King Arthur from The Sword in the Stone, because we’re upgrading this building to Kingship.

Emily Carr aka Pocahontas, because of the artistic abilities of the woman who this building is named after.

Margaret Newton aka Alice from Alice in Wonderland, because it has hosted many residents who like to spend quality time in Mystic Vale.

Ring Road Neighbourhood

Ring Road aka the characters from A Bug’s Life such as Flik, Princess Atta, and P.T. Flea. Ring is a neighbourhood all to itself and its immense size can make residents feel small like bugs.

Lansdowne Neighbourhood

The buildings of Lansdowne, otherwise know as the Concrete Jungle, find their fairy tale alter egos in the Disney version of The Jungle Book.

Carroll aka Mowgli, the young boy who was raised by wolves.

Helmcken aka Bagheera, the panther who discovered Mowgli in the jungle and watched over him.

Trutch aka Colonel Hathi, the musical elephant.

Hodges aka King Louie, the orangutan.

Ravenhill aka Shere Khan, the ferocious tiger.

Sanderson aka Baloo, the happy-go-lucky bear who teaches Mowgli “the bare necessities” of life.

Gordon Head Neighbourhood

Haig Brown aka The Boy Who Cried Wolf, because after all, how many fire alarms have gone off in Haig this year? The actual number doesn’t even matter. Just know that it was way too many.

Poole House aka Ariel from The Little Mermaid, because how could we complete this list without connecting something called “pool” with a movie that largely takes place in the ocean?

Wallace Hall aka Sleeping Beauty, because it is the quiet building this year.

Richard Wilson aka Mulan, because of the carnage that this building is known for. Year after year, holes appear in the walls of Wilson, rivalling the destruction that results when Mulan shoots fireworks into the side of a mountain and causes an avalanche.

McGill/Park Neighbourhood

The McGill/Park Neighbourhood resembles Disney’s classic film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, since they are among the smallest residence buildings on campus.

Park Hall aka Snow White, the kind princess whose complexion is as white as snow because the building’s exterior is equally as white.

Hugh Stephen aka Bashful the Dwarf, the shy but sweet friend to Snow White.

Joseph Cunliffe aka Happy the Dwarf, the happy little buddy to Snow White and the dwarfs.

Shirley Baker aka Prince Charming, the hegemonic hero ready to save his princess.

Cluster

Cluster aka Goldilocks from the classic tale Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Why Goldilocks? Because while you may not (hopefully will not) find a random girl sleeping in your bed and eating your porridge, you will find many uninvited guests in your living room on any given Friday night.

The Towers Neighbourhood

Tower and South Tower make quite the iconic pair rising high above Parking Lot 5. As a result, these buildings can be likened to a variety of iconic fairy tale pairs including:

Mickey and Minnie Mouse

Hansel and Gretel

Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled (bonus points because of the other iconic tower in their tale)

The Siamese cats Si and Am from Lady and the Tramp

Jaq and Gus from Cinderella

Pain and Panic from Hercules

Beta and Gamma from Up

Do you agree? Let us know in the comments below! 

Deia moved from Kelowna, British Columbia to Victoria in 2014 and is now a third year student at the University of Victoria. Deia is spending her pre-education days in Greek and Roman Studies and is currently doing a semester abroad in Greece. She loves rain (as long as she's indoors) and all things pasta related.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.