Top 8 Films Every University Student Should Watch at Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Here are 8 thought-provoking films that contain helpful nuggets of wisdom for every university student. There are many more films that would fit perfectly in this list, but here are just a few.

#8 – Dead Poet’s Society

In this film, Robin Williams takes the role of an unconventional professor as he enlightens his English class at an all-boys boarding school. The main message of “Carpe Diem” is interwoven throughout this movie. Following the lives of students, it begs the question of whether we should conform to the expectations of others, or seize the day and create our own path. It’s a fantastic watch, and will definitely leave you feeling inspired.

#7 – Donnie Darko

This is honestly the kind of movie that you must watch not once, not twice, but at least a solid 8 times before you can kind of figure out what’s happening… barely. The film is about a teenager who is influenced by eerie visions that manipulate and cause him to commit crimes. I won’t say much more – but this is truly a brilliant film. It’s a great movie to watch and discuss with friends. It makes you think deeply and feel more intelligent as it can cause you to feel like a film critic. Plus Jake Gyllenhaal stars in it! *swoons*

#6 – The Art of Getting By

The Art of Getting By is a 2011 romantic comedy starring Emma Roberts (We’re the Millers) and Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel). The main characters are in high school, but the movie still has an inspirational message that calls out to students of all ages. The whole movie is about a high-school senior who lacks motivation, constantly blows off school-work and spends all his time doodling, smoking and watching TV. It’s a great film about finding your inner-self, while turning weaknesses into strengths and following your passion.

#5 – The King’s Speech

Based on the true story of King George VI, this movie follows the life of the royal king as he finds the strength to use his voice. We’ve all been there – standing in front of a group of people presenting something – while you can honestly say you’d rather be dead than be presenting to the class what the difference is between mitosis and meiosis. But in your case, you probably weren’t speaking in front of millions of people- each hanging on your every word like King George did. However, public speaking anxiety is a universal feeling, and this movie outlines the royal monarch’s struggle and triumph in his search for confidence in this inspirational film.

#4 – Anchorman

Has anyone ever quoted the movie Anchorman and you just stood there slightly confused while you conceded that you’ve never actually seen the movie? To which their response was probably something like “WWHHHAAAATT?!? YOU’VE NEVER SEEN ANCHORMAN??” which caused you to reel back and hide your face in shame. Whether or not you have actually experienced that – watch this movie. It’s quite hilarious as all the wit, class, stupidity, and mustaches mix together to create something glorious. Also if you watch it, you’ll finally understand what other students are referring to when they say something like “60% of the time, It works every time.”

#3 – He’s Just Not that Into You

With university come the late night papers, KD for every meal, the rowdy parties, and last but not least- new and forgotten relationships. The movie He’s Just Not that Into You commentates on the rules of finding the right guy/gal and whether there truly are “signs” that tip off whether a person is into you. It’s both hilarious and endearing as it delves within the complexities of dating and maintaining relationships. Although the title of the film appears slightly sad and pessimistic, its story actually leaves viewers filled with uplifting hope.

#2 – Into the Wild

Made in 2007, Into the Wild is a Biographical Drama Survival film of the life of Christopher McCandless portrayed by Emile Hirsch. The whole movie is about a student who after graduation from Emory University gives away all his possessions and lifestyle to hitchhike to Alaska. He meets several people along the way who each have a significant impact on him as he discovers himself and the little truths of life. This is a great movie for those bitten with wanderlust with the need to explore. It makes you think twice about our society revolving around consumerism and our true sources of happiness. It’s a great film, with a great cast, with a great message.

#1 – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

This classic movie has got a much MUCH younger Matthew Broderick as his witty attitude and two friends get into shenanigans as they embody the idea of “Carpe Diem”. Much can be learned from this film – Now I’m not saying you should skip all your university classes, steal a car and go joy riding through downtown. Failing your classes and having a criminal record probably isn’t the best thing a starving student could have. Nevertheless, the movie still has a fantastic message. Don’t bury yourself in schoolwork; look around once in a while. Appreciate life and seize the day. I mean you only YOLO once riigghht?!

So if you’re ever sitting around on a Friday night scrolling through netflix for a movie to watch, give one of these films a try!

Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.