This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

After attending the University of Zoom for a year, it can be hard to get back in the groove of physical classrooms. Here, we compiled our top tips from our HC at UVic writers for an easy transition into those lecture hall seats.

Don’t sit in the back row.

“After over a year of webcams being optional, you might feel like it’s better to sit way in the back of class and blend into the walls. There’s nothing wrong with that, but sitting on the side of class closer to the prof and the projector can be super helpful to stay focused. It’s more engaging, when I sit close to the front, it’s harder for me to check my phone or fall asleep, which can be habits picked up over Zoom classes — the pressure is on to learn!” — Emma de Blois, fifth-year writing major.

Bring your diary to every class.

“I use my laptop to keep notes these days because it helps me keep everything in one place. However, my top tip would be to always carry a pen and a diary to schedule important points and deadlines from the class syllabus, and not just during the first week! It’s also a great place to write down your classmates’ e-mail addresses, add in dates for events/bonus tips your prof mentions, and add in extra assignment information when it comes up.”– Sarah Roberts, first-year post-grad art history.

Talk to your classmates.

“I know it can feel super weird to talk to new people while in class, but it is so much easier to make contact with your fellow classmates compared to being confined in those little grey Zoom boxes. Everyone else is in the same boat, which makes it the perfect time to make friends and study groups! Of course there is a time and a place as the prof might not like it if you chat it up mid-lecture,  but the ten minutes before class is great for developing a connection with other students.”  – Savannah Audet, third-year English major

Prioritize self care.

“I find that I learn best when I am making sure to take care of myself. It can be very tempting to pull all-nighters, over-consume caffeine, and spend five hours on TikTok when school gets stressful, but carving time out for things that will be beneficial to your mental health is key! Drink your water, eat your greens, and move your body; you’ll be surprised at how much better you learn when you do.” – Alison Batallas, second-year English and Professional Communication major

With these tips and tricks, you’ll be a pro at campus life in no time! Have any other suggestions or comments? Reach out to us on all social media platforms!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.
Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!