Study Snacks to Get You Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

September’s come and gone, midterms are creeping up alarmingly quickly, and flurries of flashcards, sleepless nights, and sticky notes are in the 14-day forecast. The holy grail of survival? Caffeine and snacks. A solid snack can make all the difference in the world to the productivity of a study session. With that in mind, here are my favourite study snacks (okay, candies—they’re mostly candies).

1. Chocolate almonds

Not too sweet, not too savoury, chocolate-covered almonds are a classic study snack. They’re a kick of sugar, a smidge of caffeine, and we can pretend they’re nutritious because of the almonds. Plus, they’re not too crummy or crunchy, so they’re library friendly (just be careful not to get chocolate on anything!).

2. Grapes

Grapes: nature’s candy. They’re sweet, full of vitamins and minerals (like most fresh fruit), and require no prep. Just rinse ’em and they’re good to go.

3. Ginger Bears

Gummy bears with a kick, Buderim Ginger Bears are a sweet treat with a tingle that lingers. They are a great way to wake yourself up after trudging through a particularly numbing paragraph or frustrating problem. They are a bit pricey, though, so it’s best to use them to reward yourself, rather than snack on them.

4. Dried fruit and trail mix

Easy to keep in your bag or pocket, the snack of choice for ski trips and hikes is also great to have on standby while studying. If you’re feeling a little peckish, but not quite ready to pack up in search of food, having some dry fruit or nuts handy can keep you going a little longer.

5. Sour keys and salt and vinegar chips

Not suitable for amateurs, nor the faint of heart, this combo physically hurts to eat and will shake you out of any stupor. It’s a last resort snack to snap you back to attention—at least, until you doze off again.

6. Chocolate-covered digestive biscuits

If you’re craving a little something sweet, but don’t want to deal with the sugar high (and crash) of candy, these light biscuits may do the trick. They pair nicely with black tea and coffee, and give you something to munch on without filling you up.

7. Veggie sticks

This one takes more work, but it’s worth it. At the beginning of the week (or whenever you have time), rinse and chop up a bunch of your favourite veggies to snack on throughout the week. They’re yummy, thirst-quenching, and very healthy!

8. Plain potato chips with herb and garlic cream cheese

It’s salty, it’s creamy, it’s everything you’re craving after a hard week. Potato chips and cream cheese are suitable sustenance while you’re studying, and a satisfying reward once you’re done.

Good luck!

Resources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison