Spring Releases to add to your TBR list

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Here in Victoria, the first signs of spring have arrived! From rose bushes blooming on campus to cherry blossoms announcing their arrival, there hasn’t been a better time to pick up a new fiction book to read under the foliage. Here are some of the most anticipated releases for the warmer weather!

Violeta by Isabel Allende, translated by Frances Riddle.

Released 22 January 2022.

Set in Chile throughout the 20th century, this novel follows a woman, Violeta, as she experiences some of the most impactful events of the century, from the Spanish flu to the Pinochet era. Told in a tale of letters, this narrative will draw the reader into a personal experience they will remember. 

The Violin Conspiracy by Brendan Slocumb. 

Released 1 February 2022.

When Ray McMillan’s treasured violin is stolen right before the International Tchaikovsky Competition, time is ticking to find the culprit of stealing the priceless family heirloom. 

Groundskeeping by Lee Cole.

Anticipated release: 1 March 2022.

By entangling the American politics seen in 2016 with a story about human connection, Cole develops a Romeo and Juliet-esque tale set in the 21st century. 

The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd.

Anticipated release: 15 March 2022.

There’s nothing better than spending a day reading a mystery! When Nell’s father is found deceased at his workplace, there may be a connection to the rare maps he had on hand… would these maps be valuable enough to kill?

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel.

Anticipated release: 5 April 2022.

This Sci-fi experience transcends times, from Vancouver Island in 1912 to moon colonies far off in the future.  If you’re looking for a local thrilling read, this is the one!

The Evening Hero by Marie Myung-Ok Lee.

Anticipated release: 24 May 2022.

Dr. Yungman Kwak experiences that the so-called American dream has many flaws, in which the life he built after emigrating Korea comes crashing down after his secret is threatened to be exposed. 

Are you ready for outdoor reading sessions after such a long, gloomy season? Catch me at the beach reading some of these anticipated reads!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.