Robyn Sahota: Making a Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet Robyn Sahota! She is a second year Biology major here at UVic and an extremely active member in the UVic community. When she is not taking dance classes at CARSA or lifeguarding and teaching aquafit at McKinnon pool, she is an executive member of Me2We and Unicef club.

Me2We is a charity organization that is dedicated to providing sustainable ways to access healthcare, clean drinking water, and education in developing countries. As Robyn says, “they also strive to empower youth around the world to be the change.” Robyn works as the Campus and Community Liaison for the club. This means that she works with the community and local businesses to coordinate fundraising and charity events for the organization. These events range from bake sales and food drives to nightclub events. This year alone, these events have already raised over a thousand dollars for health initiatives in India.

Robyn is also the Social Media and Marketing Representative for UNICEF. UNICEF is an organization that works to provide disaster relief in developing countries. Robyn’s role in the club involves running the club’s Instagram and Facebook accounts and creating posters for events. Last year, the club funded an orphanage/school in Uganda. This year, they are hoping to buy more books and hire a full-time teacher for the school.  Currently, their funds are also going towards disaster relief in the wake of Hurricane Matthew. Their next event is on November 4th at Upstairs Cabaret, so be sure to get your tickets on November 3rd and 4th outside of Bibliocafe! You can also join the Facebook group here.           

Robyn loves being involved with both Me2We and UNICEF because she gets to work with great people and make a difference in her community. She hopes that, during the rest of her time at UVic, she will be able to help the clubs to grow and continue to make a positive impact on the world. Go Robyn!

If you are interested in getting involved, you are welcome to attend Me2We meetings on Mondays at 1:15 in the Welcome Center (next to Mystic Market) or UNICEF meetings on Wednesdays at 5pm in CLE A211. Also be sure to follow them on Facebook and Instagram! @uvicmetowe @uvicunicef2016

Jess is from Calgary, Alberta, but studies English literature and business at UVic. After her degree, she hopes to pursue a career in the Entertainment Industry. Some of her favourite things are Wes Anderson films, cute coffee mugs and costume parties. When she's not studying or writing for HC, she is usually watching movies, playing soccer or exploring Victoria! 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison