This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

At this point in the semester, you may be slightly behind on readings. However, if that develops into being a week (or more!) behind, you may struggle to catch up. Before the hectic midterm schedule creeps up on us, let’s examine some strategies to stay on top of those chapters.

If chores and your commute are getting in the way of your readings, you will be pleased to know that your readings may have audio versions of the text. The monotone readings provided by the textbook app may bore you, but if you need to catch up fast, it’s better than doing the dishes in silence! If your book is in the public domain, chances are you can find your text read by a human narrator, which allows for an engaging listen while on route to campus. 

Have readings ever made you fall asleep? You still (or lay) down, then next thing you know, you wake up from a four hour nap! If you feel drowsiness creeping in on you, sometimes it’s best to take a break from reading and get active. From a walk around the block to an energizing yoga session, a 20 minute activity break helps to avoid sleeping the day away. 

Sometimes it feels overwhelming to catch up on your readings, summaries can be your best friend. Although not as efficient as reading the full text, the chapter conclusions help you contextualize the ideas before heading into the classroom. Don’t rely on this technique for the entire semester as you may miss key ideas, but if you need an extra push to get you out of a reading slump, the conclusions may work for you.

With midterms peeking around the corner (I apologize for the reminder), understanding class discussions is one of the best ways to prepare. By catching up now, your future self will thank you!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.