Culture > Digital

Rating and Reviewing Spotify’s Halloween Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your next few weeks will consist of playing Taylor Swift’s latest album Midnights on repeat. Nonetheless, we all might need a break sometimes, or perhaps Taylor doesn’t interest you at all and you’re looking for something else to soundtrack the last week of October. Whatever the reason, Spotify’s got you covered with a surprisingly large section of Halloween curated playlists to get you into a ghostly mood. A good playlist can sometimes make or break the day’s activities and Halloween-themed music can get tacky really easily, so I’ve gone through and compiled a rate & review of Spotify’s take on ghoulish holiday music. 

Halloween Party: 9/10

This one’s in the name. Whether it’s a crowd on a dance floor, or something to get you pumped to party while you’re finessing the skeleton makeup, this playlist is full of groovy high-energy music. Comprised of everything from very classic Halloween party songs like “Monster Mash” and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” to mainstream pop songs with a bit of a spooky twist like “Cannibal” by Kesha or “Get Ur Freak On” by Missy Elliot, variety is the spice of this playlist. At the very least, these songs will get you bobbing your head and swaying your hips. It’s one downfall is that it takes the path well-worn, so if you’re looking for something unique, this isn’t the playlist for you.

Notable Song: The version of “Witch Doctor” included on this playlist is performed by Alvin and the Chipmunks, so maybe skip that one…or don’t?

Ultimate Halloween: 8.5/10

With more of a definitive classic rock twist on Halloween, Spotify’s delivered a more snappy take on Hallow’s Eve. Don’t get me wrong, this one also has a sprinkle of pop classics to keep the crowd entertained, but it isn’t a dance floor Halloween playlist. If you’re looking to really get into the Halloween spirit and provide a soundtrack for your costume party, head-banging rager, or drive to a haunted house, look no further than this playlist. With jams like Van Halen’s “Runnin’ with the Devil” or Bow Wow Wow’s “I Want Candy” or “You And Me and the Devil Makes 3” from Marilyn Manson this playlist is certainly not for the faint of heart. For me, that’s where it loses a few points, but if hardcore is your thing, then rock on.

Notable Song: “Calling all the Monsters” by China Anne McClain does make an appearance near the beginning of the playlist (the original Halloween song 10/10), but I don’t know if it sets a good tone for the rest of the playlist.

Disney Halloween: 6.5/10

Before you click out of this article now, just hear me out on this one. I have to admit I was skeptical at how well Disney songs could come together and shape up a Halloween playlist but I was pleasantly surprised! Whether kids are involved in your event or not, this playlist will inspire smiles and just the right amount of nostalgia with an evil twist. Featuring movie soundtracks from The Nightmare Before Christmas or the Descendants franchise and classic Disney villain songs like “Cruella de Vil”, “Be Prepared” from The Lion King and “Poor Unfortunate Souls” from The Little Mermaid, Spotify delivered on the Disney-aesthetic. After a while the feeling does get a little old (hence the lowest rating), but this playlist is great for injecting a little spooky fun into short activities like cooking and baking, cleaning, or crafting since it does feature a fair amount of instrumentals. 

Notable Song: “The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Theme” from the official Walt Disney World album will transport you back to the ride itself…for better or for worse. 

Indie Halloween: 9/10

While none of the Halloween classics grace the queue in this playlist, it is full of hits from your favourite indie artists that have a bit of an eerie energy. I was again pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one. Perfect for chilled out Halloween inspired events like pumpkin-carving, costume-making, or creepy cocktail-tasting, this soundtrack makes great background music that doesn’t feel overused or overplayed for this season. Ranging from alt rock leaning tunes like “Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But…” by the Arctic Monkeys and “Zombie Prom” by Kaiser Chiefs to softer tracks “Skeleton Song” by Bambi L or classic “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads, this playlist has a good mix. If you’re the type of person who likes to study with lyrical music, or are looking to hit refresh on the soundtrack for your hot girl walk, this playlist is a great way to sprinkle some seasonal audio into your daily routine.

Notable Song: “Season Of The Witch” by Lana Del Rey makes me want to buy crystals, brew herbal tea and get a cat, so listen with caution.
And there you have it! Honourable mentions go to Spotify’s creepy instrumental soundtracks and weird audio mixes that can score your haunted house, murder mystery party, ghost-story circle or Oujia board experiment should you be brave enough (full disclosure: I am not). These include Haunted House (don’t listen to this one in the dark), Fright Fest (comprised of the scores from different horror and sci-fi movies and tv shows), and Hauntology (a more instrumental and out-there take on Indie Halloween). Now you have absolutely no excuse not to have the perfect soundtrack for whatever this spooky season brings you. Happy listening!

Saiyah is a Chapter Leader for the Her Campus at UVic chapter. Alongside her co-leader, she manages the executive team, publishes content, oversees recruitment and retention, hosts meetings and, of course, writes content! Saiyah has been with the Her Campus at UVic chapter since 2021, moving from writer to senior editor to chapter leader. Before then, she worked as an Editorial Assistant with UVic’s undergraduate political science journal, but decided she would enjoy working on a publication that is less academic in nature. Saiyah is currently working as a Teaching Assistant on campus with the Department of Political Science and has a passion for sharing knowledge with others. In addition, Saiyah holds a project-based position as a legal assistant with a local law firm. She is currently in her fourth year at UVic pursuing an Honours degree in Political Science and a minor in Applied Ethics. This year, Saiyah has received a Jamie Cassels Undergraduate Research Award for the research she is completing for her thesis. Saiyah has also been awarded the James Wattie Memorial Essay Scholarship in International Relations for a piece she wrote on labour regulations and the International Labour Organization. In her free time, Saiyah enjoys beach walks with her dog Koda, reading a good book, and watercolour painting. Her pop culture idols include Spencer Hastings, from Pretty Little Liars and Rachel Zane, from Suits.