The One Thing You Need to Try to Get Longer, Healthier Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Two years ago, I cut my waist-length hair to my shoulders and donated it to charity. I would have felt good about it whether I liked it or not, but I did like it. For a month or two. And then I realized it was actually harder to style than my long hair, and I suddenly missed the way it was before. So I started trying to grow it out. I tried everything; getting regular cuts, not cutting it at all, taking cold showers, stopping heat products, and every type of hair mask you could think of. But nothing seemed to work. It grew, of course, but not nearly as fast as I wanted to.

Then, when London Drugs had a 50% of vitamins sale, I decided to try something new. It’s called Biotin. Also known as Vitamin H, it claims to convert carbs, fats, and proteins into energy. And as I had read online, it also helped your hair grow. As a vegetarian with low iron, hence low energy, the health benefits were just a bonus. Not only can it help your hair grow, it also strengthens nails, boosts your metabolism, improves brain function and slows cognitive decline, and can improve cholesterol levels. Of course you’ll want to consult with your doctor before making any changes to your diet or adding a new supplement, and I am by no means a professional. But these vitamins are available to anyone, and because they are water soluble, any extra just passes right through you.

I noticed an astronomical difference in my hair growth since starting on biotin over a month ago. I get comments all the time from friends and co-workers on how fast it has grown. I’ve also noticed it feels thicker, and looks a lot shinier. I haven’t really noticed a difference in my energy levels, but that wasn’t really what I was taking it for anyways. One downside to my new speedy hair growth is how fast all of my hair grows. I used to shave my legs once every couple of weeks, and now have to shave twice a week to maintain reasonably smooth looking legs. I plan to stop taking biotin before the summer, because the extra effort of shaving isn’t really worth it to me. But while it’s still cold and I’m wearing pants everyday, it’s not too much of a nuisance.

Biotin can have some negative side effects, like causing breakouts, nausea, and indigestion for some. It was worth it for me, but definitely be aware that every body reacts differently, and that it may not be right for you. If you find it doesn’t work out, here are a few other tips I learned during my journey to long hair.

1. Heat Protectant

I don’t use heat much, and always thought because I straightened my hair so little that the occasional times I did wouldn’t make much of a difference. I didn’t want to spend money on another product that I would hardly use. But I noticed a huge difference in my hair as soon as I started using heat protectant, even if it were only occasionally. Heat can be incredibly damaging, so it’s a good idea to try and limit it, and use a protectant every time you do.

2. Coconut Oil

Yeah, you’ve heard this one before, but I’m not kidding. Coconut oil is a miracle worker. About once a week I like to melt some down and cover my ends with it. Make sure not to bring it anywhere near your roots, it can be really hard to get out. Even if it’s only on my ends I still have to shampoo twice to get it all out, but it leaves my hair super shiny and I swear actually repairs my split ends. 

3. Style Appropriately

I like to sleep with my hair in braids, or a low pony. Try and avoid sleeping in a messy bun, because it’ll pull a lot of it out. I even notice some thinning when I keep it in a tight pony for too long. Try to switch up your hairstyles often, and even just changing the where your pony tail sits on your head can help.

What do you do to help your hair grow? Let us know in the comments down below!

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison