Obscure Documentaries (That are Perfect for Procrastination)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

If you’re like me, procrastination is a common habit during any point in the semester. Being comforted by Youtube at 3 a.m., when you absolutely cannot cram any more equations in your head, can be so tempting. On Youtube, you can find hundreds of documentaries are a great study break on an interesting topic. I’ve found four of my favourites, so you can procrastinate too.

Boys Alone

You might remember reading Lord of the Flies in high school, the novel that follows young boys as they survive on a remote island. Similarly, this documentary follows 12-year-old boys living in a home without any parents for a week. The boys are watched for safety, however it goes exactly as you expect.

The Virgin Daughters

This documentary follows young girls and their parents as they take a vow of chastity. It takes a look at primarily religious families and the strides they take to preserve their daughter’s virginity. 

Counterfeit Makeup

Putting fake makeup on your face is dangerous. However, at a fraction of the cost of the real thing, it can be tempting to opt for knockoffs of the newest releases. The thought of Sephora price tags can make one queasy, I know. However, what can be in the counterfeit makeup makes the Sephora prices look a lot nicer. The act of selling counterfeit makeup is illegal in the United States and this short video takes a look into the distribution of those products.

War Reporter

Being a journalist can be a dangerous job. This short video profiles a war reporter as she describes the terrifying situations she found herself in during her reporting in Afghanistan. This video shows how hard it can be to capture the war footage we see in the media. There is always a story behind the pictures.

Although watching documentaries can be a fun pastime, it is also important to focus on your studies. The new semester is a fresh start. Allowing breaks in between studies is a great way to reduce stress and avoid burnout.

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.