Style > Fashion

My Experience on Poshmark as a Canadian Seller & How I Got Started

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Struggling to find space in your wardrobe? Looking to buy some vintage items? Can’t afford things full-price but want to get them? Want to bargain for deals on items? Want to support Canadian sellers? 

If your answer to any of these questions is yes, then readers–READ ON. I am about to change how you shop for clothes by introducing you to a platform called Poshmark

I first dipped my hand into the honey-pot of Poshmark during the summer of 2020 lockdowns. I was looking to do something that benefitted me and supported my favourite passion: shopping for clothes. 

So what is Poshmark? 

According to their website, “Poshmark is a leading social marketplace for new and secondhand style for women, men, kids, pets, home, and more.” As a Canadian, I can’t purchase from American stores because Poshmark Canada is its own platform. For my American friends, you’ve got your pool to shop in and we’ve got ours!

The beauty of this platform is that how much effort you put into it is completely up to you. During my first year, I was an avid player in the scene. I lived for the thrill of bargaining great finds. I also love getting the notification telling me an item of mine had sold, meaning I made $$! Now I’ve got over 1,000 followers, and even though I spend less time uploading new products, I still make the occasional sale. 

So, how do I make sure people want to buy my clothes? Here’s a few tricks that I think have helped. 

TAKE GOOD PICS. 

white v neck shirt on brown clothes hanger

I don’t underestimate the value of a well-lit photo displaying a freshly washed shirt. The most important photo is the ‘covershot’ which is what all potential buyers will see of the product before 

I avoid uploading poorly lit photos that distort the colour of the product or blurry photos where the design pattern can’t be seen. I imagine you’d like to get a good look at an item when you’re buying something – so I assume my shoppers want the same!

CHOOSE REASONABLE PRICES. 

Free Man Wearing Gray Coat With Sale Tags Stock Photo

I reflect honestly about the clothes I’m are selling. Unless it is a limited item or from a limited collection, I probably won’t be selling my clothes for the same price – and definitely not more. 

When deciding on a price I consider how worn the item is, the original quality and brand of the item, and what condition it is in. For example, I consider whether the fabric is balling or is stretched out. I also create custom bundle deals for buyers who want to buy more than one item from my closet. An example would be to discount shipping by 20% if a shopper buys three items from my closet.

I like to note when items are trending and already of high value, like The North Face 1996 Retro Nuptse Jacket. These items will significantly go up in value, so if there’s an item in my closet that is trending and I’ve been wanting to sell it – I do it then!

BE ACTIVE. 
Free A Man and Woman Standing Near the Clothes Rack Stock Photo

Personally, I keep notifications on– because when other people make me offers expire after a few days. I check the website or app about twice a week if I don’t have notifications turned on. 

By being responsive and engaging customers in private chats, It has allowed me to answer clarifying questions about my product that the buyer may have. Perhaps it is a pair of jeans and they want to know the inseam length? I whip out that measuring tape and let them know!

I’M HONEST. 

Quite simply, nobody likes a liar, and people WILL and have called people out on it. We can’t post something that is a fake or replica of another product, it is a big no-no. So just don’t do it. 

Be Poshmark Party Ready! 

My final tip is I share my items to the appropriate Parties. You may be asking, Ashley, what’s a Posh Party? On the top bar along my Poshmark homepage there are be different sections I can shop in, and then something called Parties on the far right. Clicking on it will take me to the events section that allows me to sell clothes to new audiences and reach more people!

The catch here is that I can only upload my listings to Poshmark parties while they are virtually live – another reason why I keep notifications on! These events tend lasts for several hours. 

There are also restrictions to what items I, as a seller, are allowed to list. A party example might be, “Trending: Free People, Aritzia, Converse & More Posh Party” which will have guidelines of which brands Poshmark will let you list from your closet for that event. Click “view party details” to see this. Also some don’t have any restrictions! 

How To Get The Moula?

pink pig coin bank on brown wooden table

So, yes, Poshmark does profit off of my sales. According to their current policies under the FAQs section, they explain: 

“For all sales under C$20, Poshmark takes a flat commission of C$3.95. I keep the rest. For sales of C$20 or more, you keep 80% of your sale and Poshmark’s commission is 20%. All orders include a GST/HST on the Poshmark fee that is deducted from the seller’s earnings.”

A little comment from me before bidding you adieu. When I go to the “My Balance” section under my profile I can access the money I’ve made and then click “Redeem Your Balance” to get your transfer method as a Bank Direct Deposit, which means I’ll usually get paid 1-3 business days after depositing it. 

Selling clothes online is easier than I anticipated, and I hope that this guide and review helps you feel inspired to do the same!

Ashley Ciambrelli is the Senior Editor for the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Victoria. She is in charge of ensuring a high quality of professional writing for the writers that are on her team. She manages the editing team, ensuring they meet Her Campus standards and stay on schedule. Alongside overseeing the editing team, she also loves writing articles herself. Ashley is currently in her third year at the University of Victoria where she is majoring in writing and minoring in journalism and publishing. Ashley has been with Her Campus since the fall of 2022, where she began with writing articles. Later that year, her passion for writing led her to take on a more prominent role within the editing team. In her free time, Ashley enjoys making tea and watching any 2000s teen drama. She casually records vocals for local singers on the side, and is currently working on releasing some music of her own. She is a foster mom with the BC SPCA, and has a strong love for all fluffy creatures — especially bunnies. She loves DSLR photography and hopes to combine her passion for writing with visual media sometime in the future.