Meet the Vice President: Jessica Jacobson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet Her Campus at Uvic’s Vice President, Jessica Jacobson! Jess is a second year English major with a minor in film studies, and she has been a part of Her Campus for a year and a half. She joined because she knew the journalism and writing experience would relate to her major, and so that she could make new friends and meet some amazing new people. She loves that there are so many unique voices within the club, and that everyone contributes something different and new. She also likes collaborating, brainstorming, and that everyone supports each others articles.

“Every meeting, I learn something and laugh and it’s such a fun experience. I have also learned so much more about publishing, writing, and teamwork than I expected to.”

With a major in English and a minor in film studies, Jess hopes to go into entertainment law after graduation. “I find the film and entertainment industry super fascinating,” she said. “My favourite thing about my major is that the literature we read always happens to somehow relate to my life. Whenever I am having relationship problems, for example, we will read a poem about love that tells me what I need to hear. Literature is super cool like that.” It has also helped her develop her writing skills and get communication and marketing related jobs. “It has been, surprisingly, practical so far.”

When she’s not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, Jess works two jobs. She has a work study as the Communications Offer and Event Planner for a discussion series within the English Department, and she co-manages the Prep 101 Victoria branch. She is also a street team member for Generocksity, which she joined after writing a Her Campus article on the organization, and decided it was something that she wanted to be a part of. She was a competitive soccer player all her life before starting university, so she now plays on three intramural soccer teams because she loves it so much. After all that she does still somehow manage to find some spare time, which she uses to find new coffee shops to study and read in, watch movies, and play Just Dance on Wii.

Originally from Calgary, Jess decided to come to UVic because the campus was the perfect size for her, and Victoria was not too close or too far from home. “I also knew that it has a beautiful campus and a good English program.” She loves that Victoria is so close to so many beautiful beaches. “I’m still not used to being able to go to the ocean whenever I want. I also find the people here really nice and laid back.”

Moving from Calgary to Victoria was a bigger change for Jess than she was expecting. Victoria is smaller and rainier, but Jess has fallen in love with the island. Her favourite thing to do in Victoria is go see the seals at Fisherman’s Warf or Oak Bay. “I feel so lucky to live in a place where I can go visit them whenever I want!”

If you see Jess around campus don’t be afraid to say hi. She is such a joy to be around; you definitely won’t regret it! 

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison