Meet the Editor: Sophie Crocker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Do you ever wonder how Her Campus at UVic is able to publish such flawless content all the time?  Well, it’s all thanks to the amazing Sophie Crocker. Sophie has been the managing editor at Her Campus at UVic for almost two years now, and she is definitely an integral part of our team! As a creative writing major, Sophie took on the role because she thought it would be good experience, and also because she likes the idea of working with ambitious women from diverse walks of life.

Sophie (middle left) with fellow Her Campus members

If being an editor for Her Campus wasn’t cool enough, Sophie is also a part of the Vikes improv club. She has been involved in improv and theatre since high school and wanted to continue with it when she came to UVic. For Sophie, improv is great because it teaches you to say “yes” to things and to work with and agree with others. As she puts it, “improv applies to real life because life is improv.” Sophie performs with the club at least once a month and, as part of the club’s senior ensemble, she will be travelling to Seattle to compete at CIT, an improv competition, in January!

Sophie (center stage) performing with Vikes Improv

Even with her club commitments, Sophie still finds time to devote herself to school as well! She has wanted to write novels since age eight, and now, as a student in the fiction and screenplay streams of the creative writing program, she is working towards that goal! She chose to study screenwriting as well as fiction because she likes collaborating with people from different disciplines and mediums, and writing screenplays gives her the chance to do that. When asked where she sees herself in ten years, she said: “Ideally, I would be writing novels, short stories and screenplays. Just getting published as much as possible. A lot of us in the writing department don’t think about relationships or kids [when thinking about the future], we just think about us as writers.”

If she’s not editing, performing or writing, you can usually find her reading poetry or working out at the gym. During the holiday break, though, Sophie says that she is focusing on spending time with friends before heading home to Powel River for the holidays. Before the end of our interview, Sophie left us with some holiday shopping advice: if you’re shopping for a writing major, look for “a book of Chekhov’s short stories, because our prof is always talking about him and I am always looking for his quotes[…] Also, books, pens and paper are always a good idea because we go through so many of those.”

We are incredibly lucky to have such an inspiring and talented editor here at HC at UVic. (But if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes in this article, you can blame her!)

Jess is from Calgary, Alberta, but studies English literature and business at UVic. After her degree, she hopes to pursue a career in the Entertainment Industry. Some of her favourite things are Wes Anderson films, cute coffee mugs and costume parties. When she's not studying or writing for HC, she is usually watching movies, playing soccer or exploring Victoria! 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison