Let the Mow Grow: How to Participate in Movember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Here we are again. It’s that time of year when your boyfriend, brother, father, or neighbour grows out the stache. Whether it is a full beard or only a patchy attempt at a Salvador Dali mo, it’s for a good cause. 

For Movember, not only can you show your support for those fighting against prostate cancer by ‘letting the mo grow’, but you can also plan a month of fitness for ‘move-mber’.  So, girls, if you have a loved one you want to show your support for or if you simply want to help the cause, going to the gym counts as a Movember activity! What are other ways you can help? Here are just a few:

1.Donate to Mo Bros or Mo Sistas

Through Canada’s Movember Foundation, you can support a person or team of people you know who are fundraising (growing the mo) or you can make a general donation to the foundation.  

2. Fundraise

Through “Grow the Mo,” “Take the Move challenge”, or “Host an Event,” you can aid those fighting cancer, and further cancer research.  

3. Simply spread the word.

Many men who suffer from prostate cancer feel compelled to keep it quite due to stigma. By simply opening the topic for discussion and raising awareness you are helping the cause.

4. Check out Movember Canada events to see events in your area!

Whether you are in Vancouver, Victoria, or Winnipeg, there are loads of events nearby you can participate in to show your support!

Whether or not you have the capability to grow out an impressive mustache, don’t fear! There are lots of things you can do to help this important annual effort to save lives.

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison