This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

You may think that you have run out of Netflix shows to binge watch over the reading break, but I’m here to tell you that you’re missing out on a hidden gem: Las Chicas del Cable.

Now I know what you’re thinking: “I can’t speak Spanish. Why would I want to watch a show that I can’t understand?” The beauty of this show is that you can watch it English dubbed or with English subtitles. Here is a rundown of this Spanish Netflix hit.

Las Chicas del Cable (aka The Cable Girls) is a Spanish period drama that premiered on Netflix in 2017 that follows the exciting and scandalous lives of the employees at a telecommunications company in Madrid. The story follows the protagonist, Alba Romero, who tries to cover up her past life and identity by transforming into the character “Lidia Aguilar Dávila.” However, when Lidia encounters an old friend who recognizes her, a threat is posed to her fresh start. Carlota, Ángeles, and Marga are other telefonistas at the company who connect with Lidia, and this friend group will prove to be resilient as they continue to abide by the rules that, above all, “their girls come first.”

If that isn’t enough incentive for you to watch this show, the male characters Francisco and Carlos charm their way through the first two seasons. These two Spaniards struggle for attention and control of the company, fortifying a complex relationship founded upon loyalty and rivalry. Although these two chicos have a brotherly love, their competitive nature tends to cloud their vision.

Overall, it’s a fantastic series, and I hope you can find something in it that is for you!

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison