This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

She burst onto screens in 1997, kicked the butt of even the grossest monster-of-the-week and always had shiny, bouncy hair. There’s no denying that Buffy was a game-changer. She inspired generations of girls, a legion of grrrl power advocates, comic books and even an entire dedicated scholarship field.

I binged all seven seasons during my first year of university. My only regret was not watching sooner. Buffy was quippy, cool and, quite frankly, I wanted to be her.

Sure, some aspects of the show haven’t aged too well (looking at you, Xander!), but there’s lots to be learned from everyone’s favourite woman warrior. Sit back and relax while I share some nuggets of Buffy wisdom.

(Spoilers ahead!)

Keep your options open.

Having a prophecy that states you are the “chosen one” pretty much cements your destiny, right? Wrong.

Buffy still wanted to participate in Career Day, hang out with her friends and have a boyfriend. Even though others were pushing her to be the Slayer, she knew she wanted to be a sixteen-year-old girl. 

While ultimately she accepted her fate, Buffy advocated for herself and argued for her rights. She was cookie dough, and she wasn’t done baking yet. Don’t let what others think stop you from trying something new.

It’s okay to feel lost.

You know that terrifying thing that happens when you grow up and you realise that no one is a ‘”grown-up”? Pretty much sums up my early twenties. 

Watching Buffy go off to college only to flounder and fail showed me that it’s okay to have no idea what you’re doing. Sure, it’s painful to watch our favourite slayer struggle through college life in Season Four, but it’s also deeply relatable.

When I got to university, I realised pretty quickly that I wanted to change my major. It was scary, but Buffy reminded me that nobody has life figured out and that it’s okay to take longer than your friends to find your feet!

Loyalty and kindness are valuable skills.

Let’s face it, some members of the Scooby gang seemed way more equipped to fight off the apocalypse than others. 

Xander didn’t always have much to offer the team, apart from some leftover combat knowledge he inherited from his Halloween stint as GI Joe. What he brought to the group were friendship, humour and fierce loyalty. Let’s not forget, when Dark Willow was at her most scary and veiny, Xander talked her down with a story about a broken yellow crayon and their enduring bond.

Even when it seems like the pressure is high to get good grades, launch your side hustle, keep up a fitness regime, etc. don’t forget that skills like listening, kindness and making people laugh can be just as valuable!

Go out on your own when you need to.

Remember when Buffy ran away from home, moved to downtown Los Angeles, made everybody call her Anne, and then got involved in a human trafficking plot? Yeah, that was a strange episode… 

When Buffy wasn’t getting the support she needed, she was willing to go it alone. Take away the Slayer’s weapons? Friends? Hope? What was left? Buffy knew: Me.

When you move out, you realise you can’t always fall back on others. It’s okay to be by yourself. Build up your reserves, watch a YouTube how-to and keep adulting. You’re doing just fine.

Learn to let go.

Sometimes we have to cut off an arm to save the body. Buffy knew this when she sacrificed Angel to save the world, and *gasp* he changed back at the last minute. Even though the man she loved was still in there, at that moment, she had to let go and send him to the depths of hell for the greater good. Cue the tears! 

It’s a good reminder that letting go isn’t always wrong. It doesn’t have to be as drastic as Buffy’s sacrifice, either. Sometimes ridding yourself of an old habit that no longer serves you or hitting pause on a commitment for a while is a great way to move forward.

Never under-estimate yourself.

You might not have super strength or slayer instincts, but that was never really the point! 

Buffy flipped the script; she was the cute, blonde girl from the valley that terrorised all the monsters. Ultimately, Buffy’s strength came from her willingness to keep fighting even when things seemed bleak.

Season One may have its flaws, but when Buffy went off to fight the Master, cross-bow at the ready, that was when she truly became the Slayer. She knew he may be unbeatable, but she was willing to try anyway. Go on, Buffy!

Buffy ended up playing a huge role in my formative years. She was human and flawed, but she had many inspiring on-screen moments. I hope these bits of Buffy-osophy help you get through your day.

So, as the Slayer herself said best, “Here endeth the lesson.”

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!
Contributor account for Her Campus at U Vic.