roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Tried Every Starbucks Christmas Drink So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

We are officially in the third week of November it’s now safe to say fall is over. Is it too early to say it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas? Well Starbucks doesn’t think so; they officially released their Christmas cup decorations on Thursday November 11, and aren’t they the cutest Christmas designs ever?

But we know that what really counts on a cold snowy (read: rainy) night is the beverage inside. And to help out anyone looking for a quick caffeine fix with a festive twist, here’s the rundown on five of their holiday drink specials.

5. Starting from the bottom with my least favorite drink is Starbuck’s Chestnut Praline Latte. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s still an okay drink, just subpar to the other options on the menu in my opinion. It’s light and had a nice, smooth aftertaste. However, having never tasted chestnuts or pralines, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t taste how Starbucks thinks it does. My friend Kara, who graciously taste tested these drinks with me, described it as what she imagines a Yankee candle would taste like. #SorryNotSorry

I’d give it a B-

4. Next in line on the way to the top is a Starbucks Caramel Brulée Latte. This is a delicious, creamy drink with lovely notes of caramel and coffee. It’s definitely the sweetest out of the five, but surprisingly not overpowering. I personally don’t like when my coffee is sweet, which is why this one is near the bottom for me. But should sugary drinks be your cup of tea, this is the one for you.

This one gets a B+

3. Following that is Starbucks Eggnog Latte. Need I say more? Generally, eggnog has a reputation for being overpowering and can only be enjoyed in small amounts. That cannot be said for this latte. Not too sweet and not too bland, it strikes a perfect balance of eggnog and espresso with just a dash of nutmeg in between. For those of you looking for a simple yet delicious holiday latte, you’ve come to the right place.

This drink gets an A-.

2. Second from the top is Starbucks Peppermint Mocha. Now, think hot chocolate with candy canes. And who doesn’t love hot chocolate, amirite ladies? With an initially sweet taste that fades into a dark chocolate aftertaste, it’s honestly like a peppermint hot chocolate. For those hot chocolate lovers, you’ve finally found the perfect winter drink.

P.S They have a nonfat milk and sugar free version of this drink.

A! Definite A.

1. At last we have come to the final drink, the cherry on top – or maybe the star on top of the Christmas tree? The Starbucks Gingerbread Latte. The moment I tasted this, I realized what I’ve been missing out on all these years. It’s Christmas in a cup. It tastes like classic home-style gingerbread, the kind you’d eat on dark nights in front of the fire. If there is only one holiday drink you try this Christmas, then this is it.

This one wins the A+.

And there you have it. If you’re still missing fall and dreading the cold, dark winter, don’t worry: Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is around for a little while longer. Wishing you a stress free November and Happy Holidays!

XOXO

Sources: 1/2

Leah Smith

U Vic '20

Coming from Edmonton, AB, Leah is a writing student in the Fine Arts Department at the University of Victoria. She enjoys all things story related including but not limited to TV, movies, and books. She is a die-hard fan of Peaky Blinders, Mr. Robot, and Jane the Virgin. She loves desserts and when she has time enjoys baking and hanging out with her family and friends. She is easy-going and with an avid love for music and hopes to be a screenwriter.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison