This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Every few months or so, I’m busy with school, my bank account is running closer to zero than to be of comfort, and I start thinking… I could be a Sugar Baby. With some primping I’m sure I could make myself desirable enough to an older man. I can be charming if need be and I know how to tell people what they want to hear. These skill sets come in handy all the time but why not use them to make a bit of extra cash?

First things first, I needed to make a Seeking Arrangements profile. In a nutshell, SA is a dating website for Sugar Daddies and Sugar Babies. Think Christian Mingle only less Christian. For your profile you fill out a few different sections, your basic info is first, this includes your user name, birthday, a header for your profile, what gender you’re looking for, and what level of lifestyle you are looking for. The lifestyles are selected from a drop down bar ranging from Negotiable to High. After that you’re prompted to fill out a personal info section including; height, body type, ethnicity, occupation, education, children, smoking habits, drinking habits, your language, and relationship status. All of these being answered again with drop down selections. Next up is photos, all of which are optional. There is the option to have private photos, which can only be viewed by someone who has requested such and been confirmed by you. I opted for an untelling picture, cropped to only show from the neck down, and fully clothed. I then added two private pictures, I mean I might as well go all in. After photos you simply add your location before moving on to your description. The description portion is by far the longest and most complex. Here you get to write an About Me spinet and a description of what’re you’re looking for. Once that’s completed you simply wait for your profile to be approved.

Within 24 hours, I was circling on the worldwide Sugar domain. What I didn’t expect right away were so many messages. I was so used to using Tinder where you’re lucky if boys message you and even then most are cheesy pick up lines or inappropriate remarks. It didn’t take long for me to realize this wasn’t a boy’s game anymore, it was a man’s. None of the messages were inappropriate but they did range in length and amount of content. Some were a simple “Hello, my name is __” and others went into detail of what exactly they were looking for and expected out of an arrangement. Everyone was surprisingly civil and polite. The Sugar Daddies profiles were on a spectrum of detail as well. Some having full face photos, while other having none at all, or opting for the same cropped style as myself. There are men that really laid it all out there and others that had more reserved presentations of themselves. Net worths in Victoria ranged from 100 000 to 10 million. The ages stretched from 25 to 60 plus.

I chatted with quite a few men, some to great lengths and other just a few messages. There were messages that I didn’t bother answering, either they were too over the top or uncomfortably suggestive. Something’s never change and there were some conversations that stopped with no reply from a man that had previous seemed interested, reflecting my experiences on Tinder. I received a few phone numbers but haven’t texted any, for some reason that seems far too personal before meeting someone and verifying their identity. All in all I’m just not sure that my hearts into it. I check the website about once a week now and just have a quick look, more out of boredom than anything, like scrolling through Instagram when you know you’ve already seen the posts. I wish my Sugar Baby experience, or lack thereof, was more exciting and that I had a better story to tell but thus far that’s all I can report. Who knows though, maybe you’ll hear from me again…

This article was compiled by the Her Campus at UVic team or published anonymously by one of our writers or a UVic student. If you'd like to submit an article you can contact us at u-vic@hercampus.com.