How to Waste Time at the Airport

You’re through security, your liquids and gels are perfectly organized in a 1L clear plastic bag, and your boarding pass is in hand when you hear the worst thing you could hear at that moment. Your flight has been delayed. Big time. Now you need to waste some time. Here’s how to do it. 

1. Wander around for about 10 minutes in search of a seat; it’s all about outlet access and proximity to vending machines. 

Giphy

2. Text your mom. Or your best friend. Or everyone you know.

Giphy

3. Open Twitter

Giphy

4. Stare at your phone until your brain starts to go numb. Close Twitter. 

Giphy

5. It’s time to do some people-watching. Get caught up in someone else’s drama.

Giphy

6. Direct your attention to the nearest Starbucks. Stare, wistfully. 

Giphy

7. Remember how empty your wallet is from buying your plane ticket. 

Giphy

8. Check for flight updates. If there’s been another delay, find a nice spot on the floor, out of sight, and have a good cry. 

Giphy

9. Buy a vending machine cookie. Watch it get stuck and cry a little bit more.

Giphy

10. Wipe away your tears, give in and buy a frappucino. 

Giphy

11. Realize the horrifying reality that you have just finished your frappe and that you really need to pee.

Giphy

12. Drag all of your carry-on bags into the bathroom stall with you because you’re paranoid about leaving it unattended. 

Giphy

13. Browse the gift shops. Buy nothing.

Giphy

14. Board your plane, letting the stress wash away and the tears dry as you shoot off into the sky!

Giphy

Got any suggestions for how to waste time at the airport? Let us know in the comments!

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/

Emma is in her fourth year of a BFA in Screenwriting and a Film Studies minor at the University of Victoria. She's an aspiring filmmaker and pop-culture obsessed. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.