The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

There are a ton of different types of school bags available to choose from. Backpacks or tote bags or messenger bags…even full blown purses! How do you know which one will work for you? Here are a few essential things to consider before spending your hard-earned money on the latest TikTok bag trend.

Coming to you as a senior, a commuter, and someone who has used a different bag every year of uni so far, there are a couple of key lessons I’ve learned about how to pick out the right bag. You don’t want to risk your lunch ruining your expensive lab manuals or creasing your notebooks by stuffing your jacket into the top of your bag while you leave class. Yet unlike high school, backpacks aren’t your only option! A well-organized tote with tons of pockets might allow you access to everything super easily, or if you’re a light traveler a simple mini backpack might be all you need. Consider each factor below to find the right bag for you.

• Can you access space on campus in between classes?

Whether it’s a locker (available at UVic for $10.00 a semester through Campus Security) or your dorm, a key factor in deciding what bag is right for you is how much storage you need. If you’d rather have your supplies, snacks and essentials on you at all times then consider something bigger, like a backpack or large tote. If you can keep your bike helmet, umbrella, lunch, and extra textbooks somewhere on campus between classes when you’re not using them, a smaller purse or canvas bag might be it for you. As a commuter myself, I use my car as a storage space, but it’s still a bit of a hassle to walk to the parking lot in between each class, so I prefer something large.

• What technology do you carry with you?

Let’s face it, you can’t be a college student without a laptop or tablet of some kind. UVic uses Brightspace, so you’ll be accessing the Internet to see your course syllabi, hand-in assignments and take quizzes. The type and size of your tech is a crucial factor in what bag will work for you. If you have a massive 16-inch laptop that you use every-day then your options might be limited to a messenger bag or large backpack. If you only have an iPad or other tablet, it might fit into a tote. Regardless of the tech you use though, try to secure a bag with a pocket specifically designed for electronic devices. Usually these pockets will have a zipper or buckle closure and help protect your tech from scratches or spills while you trek around campus. Plus, this helps keep your school bag organized!

• How and what do you study?

Another factor to think about is what school supplies you carry with you. Do you have physical copies of all your textbooks or is everything an e-book on your computer? Do you have a pencil case with pens, markers, highlighters, and sticky notes or do you stick a pencil behind your ear and call it a day? This question will help you decide how much extra space you need in your bag aside from tech. If you have three classes and need three notebooks, you will need a bigger bag than if you take all your notes on your laptop. Additionally if you have to spend time in a lab or do field work outdoors, waterproof durable material is a necessity. In my first two years, I took all my notes by hand and so my backpack had to fit a five-subject notebook and all my pencils. Now, I take digital notes on my iPad and tremendously downsized my pencil case so I use a tote bag.

• What food and beverages do you have while on campus?

Perhaps the most important question to consider in this whole article: where will your water bottle go? If you are not bringing a reusable bottle with you to campus, you totally should be, as UVic has water fountains everywhere! But seriously, is there a pocket on the outside of the bag to store your drinking vessel of choice? Or are you just gonna toss it into the big main pocket of your bag and hope it doesn’t leak? Since it’s fall do you have a hot tea or coffee in hand as well? Making sure your bag has enough space for the all the food and beverages you need to stay happy and healthy throughout the day is not only convenient, it could also save you money! If your bag can’t fit your lunch container you are probably less likely to bring lunch. Or if there’s no space for a reusable coffee mug, you could be buying a $5.00 coffee every day from BiblioCafe (that’s $25.00 a week and up to $100.00 a month you could save by being smart about your bag!).

• What is your personal style?

Lastly, it is so important to consider how you like to dress when picking out the bag that’ll be your everyday accessory! Are you a casual and outdoorsy vibe or a little more elevated? Would a backpack be too cumbersome to fit over your favourite jacket? As much as it’s important to pick something that functions well, it also has to be something you like carrying around every single day!

By this point you are probably wondering how the heck you are ever going to find a bag that’s right for you. Don’t fret, I’m going to leave you with some of my personal recommendations. Starting off with the bag I’m using this year, the Michelle Tote from Glass Ladder and Co. I wanted to elevate my style with a tote bag, but also needed it to be functional enough to last all day. While it is pretty pricey, I know this piece will last me a long time and is great for office jobs, internships and even travel when I’m not going to class.

Next, if you fit the backpack vibe, you can’t go wrong with a classic like this one from Jansport or this one from Herschel. I used an older navy blue model of the classic Herschel backpack all through high school and it was amazing.

Finally, if you need a simple canvas bag, look no further than the UVic bookstore! Or if you have enough free merch from orientation, there are tons of cloth bags available from small-businesses on Etsy that allow you to express your individual personality.

Go forth and prosper bag-lovers!

Saiyah is a Chapter Leader for the Her Campus at UVic chapter. Alongside her co-leader, she manages the executive team, publishes content, oversees recruitment and retention, hosts meetings and, of course, writes content! Saiyah has been with the Her Campus at UVic chapter since 2021, moving from writer to senior editor to chapter leader. Before then, she worked as an Editorial Assistant with UVic’s undergraduate political science journal, but decided she would enjoy working on a publication that is less academic in nature. Saiyah is currently working as a Teaching Assistant on campus with the Department of Political Science and has a passion for sharing knowledge with others. In addition, Saiyah holds a project-based position as a legal assistant with a local law firm. She is currently in her fourth year at UVic pursuing an Honours degree in Political Science and a minor in Applied Ethics. This year, Saiyah has received a Jamie Cassels Undergraduate Research Award for the research she is completing for her thesis. Saiyah has also been awarded the James Wattie Memorial Essay Scholarship in International Relations for a piece she wrote on labour regulations and the International Labour Organization. In her free time, Saiyah enjoys beach walks with her dog Koda, reading a good book, and watercolour painting. Her pop culture idols include Spencer Hastings, from Pretty Little Liars and Rachel Zane, from Suits.