This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

We’ve made it through the first month of this semester. Homework is piling up, event invites are going out on Facebook, and you’re around more people than ever. You’re probably feeling pretty optimistic for the semester—which you should be, you’re gonna rock it—but then it happens.

You wake up with an itch in your throat, and you can’t breathe through your nose. Even worse, it hurts to breathe through your mouth. You find that one cough drop that’s been at the bottom of your backpack all year and hope this isn’t what you think it is.

You can’t avoid the truth long, though … you’ve got a cold.

Don’t panic! It’ll take some work, but here are some ways to get through it as quickly as possible.

Water

Don’t underestimate the power of hydration, because it’s going to get you through this. The last thing you want is to lose your voice, and keeping your throat lubricated will be a lifesaver. Squeeze some lemon in there for a vitamin C boost.

Cough medicine

You’ll be tempted to grab the first cold medicine you see on the shelf. Stop. Figure out which symptoms you need to fight. If you can’t breathe without coughing, you’ll need a different kind of treatment than one that helps you clear your nose.

The basic kinds of medicines you’ll see are cough suppressants, which will help you stop coughing, nasal decongestants (to get the muck outta your nose), expectorants to help you cough up mucus, and antihistamines to stop your nose from running. Cough medicines will usually list what they do, so don’t just grab the one that looks tasty.

And remember: antibiotics do NOT help with colds.

Watch your breathing

I am the most guilty when it comes to breathing through my mouth. My dentist even called me out on it, since it’s terrible for your teeth. Sure, if your nose is clogged, you don’t have much choice, but mouth breathing is a surefire way to weaken your voice. It dries out your mouth, and leaves your vocal chords unlubricated. So take some decongestants and blow your nose. If you absolutely have to breathe in with your mouth, sip water as often as possible.

Eat food, please

Depending on your cold, eating might not be appealing to you. It might even hurt to swallow. The thing is, your body is working full time to help you fight this, so you need to give back.

If you’re reading this, you’re probably in college, and that means you already have the perfect easy sick food. Get that kettle on for instant noodles or put some canned soup on the stove. It isn’t ideal, but it will sustain you. If it’s spicy, that’s even better, as it might help clear up your nasal passages.

On the subject of food, know which foods will hurt more than heal. Be wary of dairy consumption, which can make your mucus thicker than it already is. Sports drinks and juice can also make you feel worse.

Bottom line, listen to what your body wants. It knows better than you do.

Avoid parties

Okay, I know. It’s a lot to ask, but a weekend in will make life easier in the long run. Parties are a recipe for disaster, even when you aren’t feeling sick. If you must join in the fun, avoid any secondhand smoke and don’t shout along to the songs—otherwise, you’ll lose your voice for sure.

Alcohol won’t do you any favours, either. It’ll dehydrate you and give your already weak body something else to deal with.

Plus, you may be sick, but everyone else doesn’t need to be!

Rest

Asking you to do this might be pushing it, but rest is a surefire way to help you recover. Curl up with a hot water bottle or heating bag, put on a boring movie, and get your eight hours. Remember that your body isn’t the only thing that needs rest. Limit your speaking as much as possible, and carry around a note to let people know you’re on vocal rest.

School is hard enough as it is. Take care of yourself, wash your hands, and if you start feeling sick, take action as soon as possible to make sure it doesn’t get in the way of your education. These are just a few ways of dealing with a bad cold. What remedies do you swear by? Let us know!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison