Career

How to Go Out for Cheap(er)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Going out can be expensive. Between ever-increasing cover charges to cabbing home, there’s a lot of costs that can wrack up quickly. But if you’re anything like me, and love to go out dancing to let off some steam, never fear; there is a way to club smarter. From one fiscally-concerned student to another, here are my top tips for having fun on the town and not making your bank account cry.

Do Your Research

It’s easy to get caught in the thrill of a night out and go where the crowds look largest. It’s also easy to get sucked into a $15 cover fee that way. Do your research online during your pre-game (if you choose to have one). Check “events near me” on Facebook, and look for special events, discounts or happy hours. Check especially for “Battle of the Bands” events at campus pubs, or themed nights like blacklight parties. These events are looking to attract a crowd, and often offer a discount on cover or drinks to pull in people like you! Many Victoria bars and restaurants also host a happy hour from 9p.m.-12p.m, which can be great locations to hit up for $3.50 highballs and to decide on which locale your crew will hit up next. 

Pregame (If You Drink)

In my first year, I didn’t drink at all, even once I was of age. I regularly went out to house parties and clubs and had a blast. If you don’t drink and you want to go out, treat yourself to your favorite beverage while meeting up with your friends. It can be as simple as kombucha or seltzer, or you can go all out with a fancy virgin mojito. When I regularly attended parties without drinking, I’d make myself an Earl Grey tea with cream and sugar, and I felt just fine with that. If you do drink, go in on a bottle of wine with a friend. The cost of splitting one bottle will come close to the cost of a glass at a downtown bar, so take advantage! 

Start Early

Victoria is an early city. Bars often close by 12 or 1, and almost all clubs are shuttered by 2. Don’t dally when going out! If you go early, you’ll have more time to scope what’s busy, and you might run into clubs that offer discounts for early birds. Often, your student card is your best weapon here–but many clubs will take away a “free for students” deal by 11 or even earlier. Take charge of your budget by starting early and avoiding the cover charge! Plus, if you arrive downtown in a timely fashion, you won’t feel stressed and rushed if the first place you try isn’t your vibe. There’s always somewhere else, and if you’re early, you’ll have time to try them all! 

Don’t Forget About “Mature” Bars

When you’re young, it’s easy to form attachments to favorite bars and forget to sample others. One of my favorite tips is to go to “classy” bars where my parents would go. These joints are fun because the crowd is more mature; they’re the kind of bars where you can feel completely comfortable hanging out by the bar alone. Plus, you never know what kind of characters you’ll meet! I’ve met hilarious divorced women having a girl’s night, nice grandpas in sharp tweed suits, and generally people who are kind and aren’t afraid to strike up a friendly conversation. Lastly, these kinds of bars often host live music on weekends with no cover (AKA a broke student’s dream). They’re great places to start your night, get some sage life advice, and warm up your dancing legs!

Talk to People

I know, I know, this one can be scary. But the best way to learn what’s happening around town is to strike up a conversation with people at the bar, or milling outside the club. By talking to new people, I’ve discovered new “underground” nightclubs and scored invites to house parties. Another benefit of talking to people? Free drinks! One of my favorite tricks is to go up to a crowd at the bar and ask them what they’re celebrating. Groups that are already feeling generous might reward you for your kindness. I’ve had great luck with bachelorette parties and hockey players celebrating a win. This tip comes with a couple of caveats: remember, you never owe anyone anything for a drink except a “thank you.” They chose to be generous, and you are allowed to accept. If they act creepy or weird, ditch them immediately. As a rule, talk to someone for a while before drinks come up; you don’t want to accept a free drink from someone you wouldn’t approach outside of a club. And of course, only accept a drink straight from the bartender, and watch your drink at all times.

Make Friends (With Benefits)

No, not that kind! Make friends with people in your life who work at bars and nightclubs, and go visit them. It’s hard enough to work at these places; these workers are sober and dealing with the most annoying drunks in town. Even if you don’t know anyone who works at the establishment, be nice to whoever is serving you, and thank them for their work. It can be a thankless position, and a little kindness goes a long way. Build a rapport with people who work at your favorite joints, and you’ll become their favorite patron. Friends who work at clubs have gotten me on the guestlist, and bartenders that I’ve befriended have given me discounts on certain items. In a profession where rude drunks are the norm, brighten someone’s day and be that customer. Not only is it great karma, but you never know what might happen! 

Plan Your Escape Route

A huge hidden cost of going out is getting home. While it’s easy to bus downtown, a lack of planning will send you home in an expensive cab. Instead, on the bus downtown or in between bars, plan your exit strategy. Find the last bus to your home, and set an alarm for 15 minutes before Google says you need to leave, so you can have enough time to gather your things and leave and still be at the bus early. You can save anywhere from $10-$30 by being time-conscious! If you know you can’t get a bus, talk to a friend with a car before you go out. See who might be able to pick you up, in exchange for proofreading their novel or cooking them dinner at your place.

Going out may be expensive, but only if you do it wrong! Using these tips, I’ve had nights out where I spent $10, max. With a little research, you can go out dancing and still keep your budget in check. Have fun and be safe, fellow broke students! 

Lindsey Schneider is a fourth-year student studying theatre and Hispanic Studies at UVic! When she's not writing plays or studying the Spanish subjunctive, she loves to go for a jog around her neighborhood and find cats to pet.
Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.