This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

We all know Walt Disney World is the happiest place on earth, so where else would you rather work? Two of the HC at UVic members were recently accepted into the Cultural Exchange Program that Disney offers. Here is a guide to help you get there as well!

Photo Source 

Pick your program

There are two different programs Disney offers for Canadians that allow them to work at Disneyworld. The first is the Cultural Representative Program. This is a six-to twelve-month program that offers Canadians the chance to represent our country at the Canadian pavilion in Epcot Theme Park, one of the four main parks at the Walt Disney World Resort. You simply have to be a Canadian citizen over the age of eighteen, and willing to work full time.

As mentioned above, our team members were accepted into the Cultural Exchange Program. This is a three-month paid internship that sends students from all over the world to Orlando, Florida, where they work in one of the many parks or resorts. The program runs from May until August, and offers a variety of different roles. The program offers housing complexes for students to live in during their program, which gives them the chance to live with people from all over the world.

Applying

After picking what program you are interested in, you can go here to apply. The application process is similar for both programs. The process starts with an online application form that requires your resume, cover letter, and other information. Make sure to follow the specific cover letter criteria listed on the application form, and let your enthusiasm come through in your writing. Disney is looking for students who are passionate and have a good reason for wanting to join their team. The application opens between August and September the summer before your program would start, and closes in early to mid December. These dates change every year, so make sure to apply as early as possible, and prepare for a long wait. Our teammates received an interview offer in mid December, with a single Vancouver interview date at the beginning of February. To apply, you must speak fluent English, be over eighteen when applying, and be enrolled in a college or university.

Photo Source

Interview

This year, a team of Disney recruiters traveled to Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, and Vancouver. It is not guaranteed they will make it to all these cities every year, and you might have to travel. Before your interview, you can look up different blogs and videos of past programmers who talk about potential questions that you may be asked. They will often ask you why you want to work for Disney, and to tell them about yourself. They may also ask situational questions depending on what roles you are interested in. On the day of the interview, your morning begins with a presentation from the Disney recruiters about the program itself and what it is all about. You will have signed up for specific time slots, so after the presentation you will wait until your name is called. The recent Vancouver interview had about thirty applicants, so it’s a good chance to get to know people you may be working with.

Here are some tips for your interview:

Be yourself! This one sounds cliché, but they can tell if you’re not being genuine, and are looking for people who really care.

Don’t stop smiling. They’re always watching you, even if it doesn’t seem like it.

Be friendly! The recruiters will like that they got to see you interact with strangers and that you are capable of making conversation.

Don’t be nervous! The recruiters are really nice and easy to talk to, and it feels like more of a conversation than an interview.

Dress professionally, but let your personality show through. Disney has a very specific dress code, called the “Disney look,” that you will want to look over beforehand. They prefer naturally coloured hair, no visible tattoos or piercings (other than an earlobe piercing), and clean, fresh makeup looks.

Choosing your role

You will want to look at the different job options before your interview, because they will ask if you have any preferences. There are twelve different roles that you can read more about here. Some of the roles include merchandise, where you could work in one of the shops; attractions, which would give you an opportunity to work with the rides in the parks; food and beverage work, lifeguarding,  and being a character attendant. Review the role descriptions and have your top three picked out before the interview. You are not guaranteed your preferred role, but they do their best to put you somewhere you’ll enjoy.

Post-interview

Our team members heard back just over a week after their interview. In your offer e-mail, you will be given your start date and your role. You will not know exactly where you work in the parks until you get to Orlando. The first step would be to accept your offer, then continue on with the steps that will be given to you in follow-up e-mails. You’ll have to pay an acceptance fee, get your insurance, and apply for a work visa, which Disney will help you with.

This is an amazing opportunity to work for one of the largest, most successful companies in the world. You’ll be able to meet new people from tons of different countries, gain incredible customer service skills, and make memories that will last a lifetime!

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Sammy Walton is a third year Kinesiology major at the University of Victoria. She is hoping to find a career in the exercise, physical health, or physical therapy fields. She enjoys staying active, outdoor activities, fashion, and anything Disney and often uses them for inpiration as a HerCampus at UVic writer.  You can see her in action by following her on Instagram @sammywalton
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.