How to Enjoy Spring Break When You Don’t Actually Have One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Spring break is the perfect time to travel, but since we at UVic don’t get a break at this point in the year, it’s a great time to get creative with your friends instead. Instead of skipping a week of classes, here are 5 ways to enjoy spring break without actually getting a break from classes.  

1. Take a day trip to the beach. Grab some friends, pack some snacks and some sweaters and blankets (because it’s not quite spring yet) and spend the day in the sand. It might be too cold to go for a swim, but you can still enjoy a great day on the beach with great people!

2. Go on a quick weekend getaway. Now that midterms are done, you might as well enjoy the lull before final exams: maybe head over and explore the mainland for a few days, or turn it into a road trip and head up north to Tofino! We live in such a beautiful province, and there are so many places to choose from for a short trip.

3. Head home for the weekend. If you’re on a budget and can’t afford a getaway, try visiting home! Getting to relax and spend time with your family and not having to cook for yourself for a few days can be just as nice a mini vacay as any other trip.

4. Spend the day downtown as a tourist in your own city. There are so many things to do in downtown Victoria, like visit the museum, go on a parliament tour, high tea at the Empress (or regular tea at one of the many cafes for a cheaper option), or shop down Government Street. For more great ideas check out our article about fun activities in Victoria.

5. Have a sleepover with friends! Pull your mattresses into the living room, buy some wine and classic sleepover snacks, invite your best friends and make it a girls’ night. You could also head over to Lush and pick up some face masks and deep conditioners and turn it into a spa night! And what’s a sleepover without a movie to end the night? Check out some new additions to Netflix like Finding Dory, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, or the new X-Men movie.

What are you doing for your ‘spring break’? Let us know in the comments below!

Sammy Walton is a third year Kinesiology major at the University of Victoria. She is hoping to find a career in the exercise, physical health, or physical therapy fields. She enjoys staying active, outdoor activities, fashion, and anything Disney and often uses them for inpiration as a HerCampus at UVic writer.  You can see her in action by following her on Instagram @sammywalton
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison