How to Dress Like a Princess On a Student Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

At this point, most of us can agree that Kate Middleton is practically perfect. I mean, just look at that hair flip.

#goals

Last week, when Will and Kate visited Canada, her outfits were always amazing. I spent way too much time looking at her outfits for each day; it became my new favorite way to procrastinate. If you’re anything like me, most of what she wears isn’t exactly affordable. Luckily, it’s not too hard to find similar clothes for a price that’s better for poor university students.

Here are some ideas for Kate-inspired clothes from their visit to Canada if you’re on a budget. Also, many of these stores are close to campus (H&M, Forever 21, Hudson’s Bay, Charming Charlie), or have cheap shipping to Canada – yay!

Day 1 – Arriving in Victoria

Dress:

ASOS, $43.88

This dress isn’t super-similar to Kate’s, but if you like the structure and elegance of Kate’s dress, it’s a good alternative.

Brooch:

YesStyle, $13.90

Earrings:

Charming Charlie, $6

Shoes:

Forever 21, $26.90

Kate’s known for her love of nude heels, but if you want a more everyday option, these flats are a good choice.

Topshop, $8.40

Clutch:

Boohoo, $52

Day 2 – Vancouver

Dress:

Pretty Little Things, $100

Kate’s dress is pretty much one-of-a-kind, so this is the closest I could find. At $100 it’s a bit pricey, but it could be worth the splurge.

Shoes:

Forever 21, $26.90

Or if you want to be a bit more comfy, these ASOS ones ($23.93) are really cute!

Clutch:

Dorothy Perkins, $20

Earrings:

Charming Charlie, $10

Watch:

Forever 21, $30.90

Day 3 – Bella Bella, Great Bear Rainforest, and Victoria

Daytime outfit

Umbrella:

Amazon, $19.45 (Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime. If you’re not signed up for Amazon Student, then you should know that it gives you Prime for free for 6 months!)

Jacket:

Zara, $69.90

Shirt:

H&M, 19.99

Sweater:

H&M, $29.99

Jeans:

Zara, 49.90

Kate actually wore jeans from Zara, most likely these ones, but for a cheaper option these ones from H&M are $24.99.

Boots:

GoJane, $37.70

Earrings:

Forever 21, $4.90

Evening outfit

Dress:

Tobi, $43.39 (On sale for all of October!)

Boohoo, $70

Earrings:

Modcloth, $22.99

Kate’s shoes and clutch look like the same ones she wore on day two and her brooch is the same one from day one.

Day 4 – Kelowna and Whitehorse

Dress:

H&M, $19.99

Coat:

Modcloth, $139.99

This one is a little more expensive and isn’t extremely similar to Kate’s coat, but it would look similar worn with a belt like hers. If you like the button-down factor and length of her coat, this one would be a good buy if you want to treat yourself.

Belt:

H&M, $7.99

Earrings:

Charming Charlie, $2.99

Scarf:

Etsy, $27.10

Kate’s shoes and clutch look similar to the ones from day one, and her watch is the same one she wore on day two.

Day 5 – Whitehorse and Carcross

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how adorable Will and Kate are together, because really, how are they that cute?

Whitehorse outfit

Coat:

Boohoo, $57

Shoes:

Modcloth, $59.99

Or if you prefer flats:

Modcloth, $39.99

Her watch, clutch and earrings look similar to the ones she wore on day two.

Carcross Outfit

Coat:

Boohoo, $52

Shirt:

H&M, $14.99

Boots:

American Eagle, $45.93

Her watch is the same as day two and jeans are the ones from day three.

Day 6 – Victoria

Dress:

Boohoo, $57

Belt:

ASOS, $19.95

Shoes:

Modcloth, 29.99

Day 7 – Haida Gwaii

Blazer:

Macys, $41.34

Blouse:

H&M, $29.99

Sweater:

H&M, $29.99

Belt:

Forever 21, $8.90

Kate’s jeans are the same as day three, watch is the same as day two, and boots are the same as day five.

Day 8 – Victoria departure

Morning outfit

Blazer:

Forever 21, 24.90

Top:

Forever 21, $14.90

Shoes:

Zappos, $59

Necklace:

Charming Charlie, $8

Kate’s jeans look like the same ones from day three.

Afternoon outfit

Jacket:

H&M, $59.99

Shoes:

Hudson’s Bay, $50

It looks like she wore the sweater from day three with this.

Departure outfit

Coat/Dress:

ASOS, $104.71

This one is a bit expensive; if you like the structural details of her coat, this dress from Boohoo ($57) might be a good alternative.

Her shoes look similar to the ones she wore on day one.

This ring is also similar to her gorgeous wedding ring:

Charming Charlie, $14

Now that you have all this outfit inspiration, you can always look as iconic as Kate!

Photo sources: 1,2

Astra is a fourth-year Political Science, Non-fiction Writing, and French student at UVic. She can often be found talking politics, trying to watch every British show on Netflix, reading fashion blogs, planning dream travel destinations, trying to write, or exploring the many coffee shops or used bookstores Victoria has to offer. She's not sure how seriously she takes astrology, but she's a Leo sun, Taurus moon, and cancer rising.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison