This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up on February 14th, and you might be wondering how much candy you should buy to get you cheerfully through the day. What you might not be thinking about, but definitely should be, is the even more important holiday that happens to land a day earlier on February 13th.  That day is Palentine’s Day. What is Palentine’s Day, you ask?

Originally ‘Galentine’s Day’, coined by our Queen Lesley Knope, of Parks and Recreation, we’ve opened it up a bit to include every kind of person and relationship. What better excuse to throw an awesome party with all your best friends? Here are a few ways to make it the best night ever!

Craft

Photo Source

Friends who craft together, stay together… right? Make something like this adorable Kiss Artwork with your group. Look up other decorations on Pinterest, pile all your craft supplies together, and make each other little gifts to bring home! These beautiful crafts will fit the theme, but last long past Palentine’s Day! Crafting is a great way to keep yourselves busy and productive while having a great talk with your buds. You can also use the crafts you make to decorate your house for the rest of the party.

Eat

Photo Source

What could possibly go better with your red wine and conversation hearts than a huge bowl of edible cookie dough? You can find a raw, healthier version here. And don’t slow down there! Your group will have a great time making this chocolate covered bacon. You’ll have just as much fun preparing the food as you will eating it. 

Drink

Photo Source

If you want your party to have a bit of a boost, try cooking up these deep fried tequila shots, because apparently these exist? You can also try this delicious fudge bourbon milkshake if you want something sweeter. For a fun time and an alcohol-free night, set up this beautiful hot chocolate bar. This way, everyone at your party can make exactly what they want, and it looks adorable!

Take Photos 

Photo Source

Gather whatever photo booth props you can find and take as many pictures as you can! Check out this cute and easy backdrop you and your friends can make during craft time. A photo booth is a great opportunity to actually get some good photos, and remember your awesome Palentine’s Day party for years to come. You can even make it a tradition and get an awesome photo every year.

Watch

Photo Source

Build yourselves the coziest fort ever with this easy tutorial. Now that you’ve made your fort, food, and drinks, you’re ready to binge watch some films! Here are a few movies that really get the Palentine’s Day feel: Frozen, Clueless, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Whip it, Bring it On, John Tucker Must Die, and Legally Blonde!

Palentine’s Day is all about spreading love and showing your friends how much you care! Take the day to do whatever you and your friends have the most fun doing, and enjoy yourselves! It’s the perfect holiday to just relax and forget about the stress that might come with the next day!

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.