HC at UVic’s Favourite Oscar Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The Oscars turned out to be four hours of ups and downs, and there were definitely some memorable looks and moments. From getting to see Leo finally win his well-deserved award to Chris Rock killing it as the show’s host, it was certainly entertaining. Here are some of HC at UVic’s favorite moments from the show.

Best Dressed

Saoirse Ronan blew us all away in this beautiful emerald gown by Calvin Klein. From the colour and the elaborate beading to the subtle transparency at the legs, she looked incredible. Her smoky makeup and tousled hair pulled the look together perfectly.

Mindy Kaling looked stunning in a black sheath dress by Elizabeth Kennedy. It might seem safe at first, but the beautiful blue cape tied behind her back made it one of our favorites of the night. We love how she paired it with a contrasting clutch and a burgundy blush to match.

Daisy Ridley played it safe in Chanel for her first appearance at the Oscars as a presenter, but it worked. While Star Wars might not have brought home any awards, Daisy definitely won the red carpet. This sparkling dress fit like a glove, and she paired it with the perfect silver jewelry.

Quantico star and former Miss World pageant winner Priyanka Chopra was apparently the most Googled celebrity at the Oscars, and for good reason. She looked flawless in this glimmering white dress made by Lebanese designer Zuhair Murad. 

Best Couples

We’re pretty sure Chrissy Teigen and John Legend can’t take a bad photo, and getting to see Chrissy’s adorable baby bump was just a bonus. She looked beautiful in this beaded red dress by Marchesa, and we couldn’t help but squeal when they posed with John’s hand on her stomach.

What do you mean they’re not together? One of our top favorite Oscar moments were Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio meeting up on the red carpet to pose for the cameras.

We didn’t know a couple could be this beautiful, or that someone could look this good in orange. Olivia Munn posed in Stella McCartney next to football all-star boyfriend Aaron Rodgers, and they couldn’t look any better. 

Best Moments

Of course our number one favorite Oscar moment goes to our boy Leo for winning his first Academy Award in the Best Actor in a Leading Role category for his incredible job in The Revenant. We loved that he brought up climate change in his acceptance speech, and Kate Winslet’s face while she was watching made it even better. His win generated 440,000 tweets per minute, the most ever in Oscar history. The only downside is that we can’t enjoy the hilarious memes about his lack of Oscars anymore.

Lady Gaga’s performance of “Till it Happens” for the documentary The Hunting Ground blew everyone out of the water. It was by far the best performance of the night and she brought millions of people to tears when she was joined by a number of sexual assault survivors. Not only was it powerful and amazing, she was introduced by US Vice President Joe Biden, who discussed the White House’s “It’s On Us” campaign, an initiative to address sexual assault on campuses.

Nine-year-old Jacob Tremblay captured our hearts at the Oscars this year, from his attractive parents walking him down the red carpet to his cute reaction to seeing the Star Wars characters above come out on stage. The fact that he’s from Vancouver just makes us like him even more.

We were so happy to see Chris Rock make repeated remarks about the famous #OscarsSoWhite. Some people may have thought he doing it for the publicity, but we figure the more they talk about it the better. Even though his stereotypical Asian joke made us cringe, we thought he did a good job over all.

What was your favorite Oscar moment? Let us know in the comments below!

Sources: 3 , 5

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.