This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Have you ever stepped out of your house, ready to take on the day, only to find tiny water droplets slamming themselves against the ground (and your hair) with no sign of stopping? It’s quite a damper on the day (pun intended), and if you’re on the West Coast, you might need something to get you through these long days of moist, damp, and drenched. 

Hopefully, this playlist can help us appreciate the rain, as well as the drama and moodiness it may evoke.

Here Comes the Rain Again – Eurythmics

There’s no better way to get into the drama of stormy weather than listening to an 80’s bop like this one. 

It’s Raining Men – The Weather Girls

Okay, maybe it doesn’t rain men around here, but that would be terrifying. This classic is great to dance along to in your fuzziest of socks.

Singin’ in the Rain – Gene Kelly

No one can resist jumping up onto the nearest lamppost and spinning ‘round it when they hear this tune!

Gatekeeper – Feist

Dancing and singing along to these songs can be tiring. This one’s to wind down while the kettle heats up.

Any Way the Wind Blows – Anais Mitchell

Tony Award winner Anais Mitchell brings peak moodiness with her raspy voice and simple guitar-picking backup.

Crying in the Rain – Art Garfunkel (Featuring James Taylor)

Speaking of moody, this calming tune is a good one to cry along to at that time of day when midterms really get to you.

It Will Rain – Bruno Mars

Bruno keeps the angst but picks up the pace with this one. 

Purple Rain – Prince

It would be a crime to exclude this song from a rain-themed playlist.

Umbrella – Rihanna

It’s upbeat. It’s iconic. It will forever remind me of Tom Holland

Set Fire to Rain – Adele

Adele did not hold back with this timeless piece of music. 

The Rains – Henry Jamison

This one is for listening to as you hear rain hit the roof and watch the trees swaying outside.

Fire and Rain – James Taylor

If you need one last cry before the day ends, this is the time. 

I Love A Rainy Night – Eddie Rabbitt

No. More. Being. Sad. It’s time to embrace the rain and chaos. Get out there and splash around!

A Little Rain (A Song for Pete) – The Arkells

The most important lyric: “A little rain ain’t bringing me down!” 

Rainbow – Kacey Musgraves

Hopefully, by the time you reach this song, the rain will have subsided and maybe — just maybe — you’ll see a rainbow when you look up at the sky. 

Are some of these songs on here just because the word “rain” is in them? Yes. Absolutely. But they were bops, right? I hope this playlist gets you through a bit of the rainy season. I know that making it made me want to pull on my gumboots and splash around. 

What are your favourite rainy day songs? Comment and let me know!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.