The Glamorous Life of Leonardo DiCaprio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Photo Source

He is arguably one of the most loved actors of our time, and even at the age of forty-two, he possesses the godly ability to make young people swoon. With hotness that can beat the LA heat any day and a cult of fans who would probably die for him, Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio is as big as it gets in Hollywood. Starring in high grossing films like The Aviator (2004) and The Blood Diamond (2006), this man has made a name for himself in a way that few people have ever managed. In fact, Leo starred in one of the highest grossing movies of all time, The Titanic (2000), which was only surpassed by Avatar in 2010.

PERSONAL LIFE

Leonardo DiCapri has dated several women in his years.

He dated actress Bijou Phillips in the late 90s. In 2000, he met Brazilian model Gisele Bündchen with whom he had an on-and-off relationship until their separation in 2005.  Later, DiCaprio began a relationship with Israeli model Bar Refaeli in November 2005 after meeting her at a Las Vegas party thrown by members of U2. He also dated actress Blake Lively from May to October 2011, then model Erin Heatherton from December 2011 to October 2012. From May 2013 to December 2014, he dated German model Toni Garrn, and lastly dated model Kelly Rohrbach from last summer to late 2015.

Leonardo with his then girlfriend Gisele Blundchen at the 2005 Oscars. Photo Source    

CAREER

Although DiCaprio’s biggest years of mainstream success were 1996-2001 , his debut film, sci-fi horror Critters 3 was released in December 1991. During this period, he worked for movies like Romeo & Juliet, Titanic, Celebrity, Man in the Iron Mask , The Beach, and Don’s Plum. Throughout his career, he has been nominated for Academy Awards five times. His first nomination was in 1993 for Best Supporting Actor in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. He has been nominated three times for Best Actor, in 2005, 2007, and 2014 for The Aviator, Blood Diamond, and The Wolf of Wall Street, respectively. In 2014, he was nominated twice for The Wolf of Wall Street, for Best Actor and Best Picture (as a producer). He finally won his first Oscar on February 28, 2016 for Best Actor in The Revenant.

Photo Source

FUN FACTS ABOUT LEO

1.     Leonardo was just nineteen years old when he got his first Academy Award Nomination in 1993 for his work in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.

2.    His father George is of half German, half Italian descent and his mother is German.

3.     DiCaprio’s net worth is $200 million.

4.   His passion for climate-change activism burns so hot that, as of today, his official website is 80% environmental concern and 20% Wolf of Wall Street.

5.    DiCaprio was famously cheap in his club-hopping days, and known for not tipping in bars.

6.    DiCaprio first appeared on screen at age five, in a children’s TV show called Romper Room, but was fired for being too disruptive.

Aashi, originally from New Delhi, India,  is in her fifth year at the University of Victoria pursuing economics. She likes to travel, explore new places and would be down for a road trip at any point in time. She also loves to experiment with fashion.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.