Wellness

Fall in love with yourself with these seasonal self-care ideas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Fall brings plenty of change and renewal, so it’s the perfect time to indulge in some self-care practices to reset. As exams and deadlines near, these seasonal ideas are a low or no-cost way to recharge your senses, bringing that stress relief you crave!

Make some warm, spiced milk

Inspired by Indian cooking, this easy recipe is a delightful way to enjoy seasonal spices. The smell of this hot drink will also create a delicious autumnal scent that fills your home. To start, warm some dairy or plant-based milk on the stove on low heat, add spices such as turmeric, ginger, cardamom, and cloves. Consider adding a little honey, as desired, for a sweeter taste.  

This is the perfect beverage to try before a good night’s rest. Turmeric is also believed to possess anti-inflammatory compounds, helping you beat any lingering symptoms from that pesky exam season cold.

Go on a crunchy walk

Wrap yourself in a scarf and gloves and get outside for a perfect pick-me-up. Fall is one of the most beautiful times in nature, and Victoria has the most beautiful spots for going out and enjoying the leaves changing. Try to ditch the earbuds for this one and listen to the crunch of the leaves, the sounds around you and the comforting scents of fresh air.

Try candle meditation

This deeply calming practice, called Trataka, is an effortless way to practice mindfulness. Trataka is a sanskrit word that means “to gaze”, this style of meditation which invites you to focus the eyes on an external object. A great way to do this is by lighting a candle and allowing yourself to softly focus on the glow.

Light a candle and keep it 2-3 feet from your face, around eye level. Keep your eyes looking at the flicker of the flame with a gentle gaze. Breathe gently, keeping a steady rhythm as you inhale and exhale. Your mind does not have to be empty; acknowledge the thoughts that come up and let them pass through. Let your eyes stay gently on the candle. 

If you feel comfortable, you can close your eyes for 2-3 minutes and notice new thoughts as they rise. Many people find it easier to start with shorter meditations; try not to judge yourself if it is difficult or frustrating. Beginning with a short meditation is a terrific way to build the practice.

Try a seasonal journal prompt

As the leaves drop off the trees, and the weather turns, it is the ideal time for reflection. Taking time to journal can be a great mood booster during cold mornings and its fantastic way to build creativity. If you are stuck, you can try one of the following prompts to inspire you:  

• Spooky season is upon us; when did you last conquer a fear? How did you do it?  
  • How does your mood change with the seasons? Does fall bring feelings or memories up for you?
  • Fall is when trees let go of their leaves. Do you want to let go of any habits, practices, or thoughts in your life? What new things could take their place?

Make crock-pot soup

Autumn brings beautiful colored gourds and squashes to our plates; what better way to comfort yourself than by cooking a delicious, hearty soup? Try this recipe for pumpkin soup, spiced with cayenne pepper. Its golden hue is gorgeous and guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out. Sub out the chicken stock for vegetable stock to make it vegetarian or vegan-friendly! Bonus points if you dip in some thick, crusty bread for a simple fall dinner.

Curl up with a cozy fall read

Visit your local library or bookstore and grab a page-turner to read just for you. What about an intriguing murder mystery or a seasonal romance? If you cannot choose, we have you covered with these fall book recommendations. Reading is a perfect stressbuster and a great escape from your laptop and midterm revision. You can turn on some crackling fire sounds, grab a blanket and cuddle up. 

Did you try one of these ideas? Perhaps you have your own favorite strategies for practicing some self-compassion. Whatever you choose to do, remember it is always okay to refill your cup and renew your energy before diving into another round of midterm revision!

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!