Everything You Need to Know About Holi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Holi, popularly known as the festival of colors in the western part of the world, is an ancient Hindu festival mainly celebrated in India and parts of South Asia. The festival has been celebrated since before the birth of Christ and signifies ‘good’ winning out over ‘evil’. The exciting news is that the Indian Student’s Association at UVic is organizing a Holi festival this week on March 26th outside Village Greens from 11am to 2:30pm. Everyone is welcome.

HISTORY

The legend says there once lived a devil and powerful king who reigned in Punjab, India. His name was ‘Hiranyakshyap.’ He considered himself a god and wanted everybody to worship him. To his great ire, his son, Prahlad, began to worship Lord Vishnu (one of the gods in Hindu mythology). The king (Hiranyakshyap) obviously disliked this. To get rid of his son, Hiranyakshyap asked his sister, Holika, to enter a blazing fire with Prahlad in her lap, as she had the power to enter the fire without getting burnt. According to the legend, instead of Prahlad, it was Holika who got burnt and died due to of the appearance of Lord Vishnu. 

TRADITION

On the eve of Holi, after sunset, pieces of wood are collected and the bonfire is lit. During the bonfire, everyone sings and dances, celebrating Holika’s death. The celebration is called ‘Holika Dahan.’ On the day of Holi, it is a tradition to play with colors. The color powder is known as ‘Abeer.’ It is one of the very few Hindu festivals in which no prayer is conducted and the day is for partying and pure enjoyment. After a day of playing with colors, people clean up, wash, bathe, and dress up in the evening and greet friends and relatives by visiting them and exchanging sweets. Holi is also a festival of forgiveness and new beginnings. 

Now you know the history of Holi! Hope to see you on the 26th! 

Aashi, originally from New Delhi, India,  is in her fifth year at the University of Victoria pursuing economics. She likes to travel, explore new places and would be down for a road trip at any point in time. She also loves to experiment with fashion.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.