Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Red Lips and Rosé

Enola Holmes is Timely, Whimsical Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

With midterms looming, we’re well on our way to burnout season. Luckily, Netflix and its endless supply of original content are here to save us (and enable our procrastination). Recently, you may have been gently recommended their new film Enola Holmes, starring Stranger Things’ Millie Bobby Brown.  You also may have been put off because of its target audience (pre-teens), but it’s actually the perfect heartwarming watch for a gloomy October day. Not convinced? Here are a few reasons why you should check out Enola Holmes.

The cast.

For a movie fronted by Millie Bobby Brown, Enola Holmes has exactly as many big names as you would expect. Helena Bonham-Carter, Henry Cavill (more on him later) and Sam Claflin all do an excellent job of bringing their characters to life without stealing the spotlight from Millie’s Enola. The movie also features lesser-known talents, Louis Partridge (playing The Viscount Tewkesbury, Marquess of Basilwether) and Susie Wokoma (playing Edith), who do a spectacular job in this film.

The costumes.

Do you love period clothing as much as we do? If you can forgive a few anachronisms, this is the movie for you. Enola’s sense of style is immaculate and leaves us all envious.

Henry Cavill.

We just think he’s neat. And by neat, we mean extremely attractive. Sherlock has never been this hot before, and it is a blessing.

Feminism.

This film does an excellent job of allowing its strong, independent female characters to be well-rounded, full people. They can be emotional without it taking away from their strength. In fact, Enola’s capacity for empathy is what makes her the hero she is. 

The film also features Helena Bonham-Carter as a revolutionary in the feminist movement, so that’s reason enough to watch, right there.

Edith.

She only had two scenes, but she stole the show. Watch the movie for her; she deserves it.

It’s timely.

At a time of great political unease and division in the Western World, Enola Holmes serves as a reminder of the need for action and change, even if you don’t seem to benefit from those changes. It deals with male privilege and how women often help to uphold the patriarchy when we simply accept the world we’ve been born into, instead of fighting for change.

Enola and Tewksbury.

The friendship between Enola and her “useless boy” is a delightful addition to this movie. Tewksbury supports Enola every step of the way and isn’t concerned by her disregard for traditional gender roles. The actors have great chemistry, and their playful banter is a highlight.

The fight choreography.

Throughout the film, Enola shows off her jiu-jitsu skills and beats up people triple her size, usually while in a full-length dress. The choreography is exciting, fast-paced and well-thought-out. The film kept up its tension without pulling punches because of its younger audience, which was very much to its advantage.

The whimsy.

The soundtrack, fourth wall breaks, and use of animation all contribute to the playful tone of this movie. In the footsteps of Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Fleabag, Enola often addresses the audience directly and draws us into her world. And what a delightfully immersive world it is!

We hope you’re convinced to give Enola Holmes a chance to lift your spirits in this trying, rainy time.

Eli Mushumanski is a queer Writing and English Honour undergrad in their fourth year at the University of Victoria. They specialize in fiction and poetry. Their work has been published by The Albatross, The Warren, and Flare: The Flagler Review, and they are a fiction editor at UVic's literary journal, This Side of West. When not caught up by schoolwork or reading, Eli plays Stardew Valley and chats with their mom on the phone.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.