The Lalagirl In Hat Taking A Photo
The Lalagirl In Hat Taking A Photo
Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Does “Fake People of Uvic” give you on-campus anxiety? You’re not alone.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

In late November, a new TikTok account changed ‘Uvictok’ forever. Fake people of Uvic, under the handle @fakepeopleofuvic, began to develop elaborate storylines for students walking around campus. This may sound like it’s all fun and games, but here’s the catch: the students don’t know they’re being filmed. From walking around campus to eating lunch, there’s no escape from potentially being captured. 

But what if you’re filmed on a rough day? Gone are the days of rolling out of bed five minutes before class, as suddenly we have to look somewhat presentable for our on-campus lectures since we all run the risk of being caught on camera. Transitioning to normal pants has been rough enough, now there’s this looming threat of having your appearance judged on Tik Tok by thousands of your peers? With classes being stressful enough, seeing yourself unknowingly going about your day on TikTok might be the final straw, if you are not comfortable with that.

Now, I’m putting makeup on everyday, styling my hair and making sure I have a presentable outfit on, to walk around campus under the looming threat of becoming the next fake person. I have to be honest, it’s SO exhausting. Props to everyone who consistently looks like they just stepped out of Aritzia, cause the whole ‘effortlessly styled’ look is hard work!

I’m not out here trying to bash the creators of the account, and I’m sure they’ll delete a clip when requested. However, if you’re ever scrolling through TikTok and see me looking like I just climbed out of the pits of hell, you’ll hopefully understand – it’s post-midterm season after all!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.