Courtney Dobell: The Rising Artist You Need To Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Name: Courtney Dobell

Year: 2nd

Major: Linguistics

First and foremost: Check out this girl’s instagram! Surprisingly enough, the artist behind those stunning pictures is only in her second year at Uvic, yet her images convey both  aesthetic beauty and social awareness that far surpass her age. Courtney adores studying languages (and her current use of German words within her art is a testament to that!) but it is photography that is her true passion.

This piece was inspired by “ fünf Verbinden“ which means to connect!

Beginning at the age of twelve, when she received her very first camera, Courtney became fascinated with photography, particularly with how the work of other artists she found online seemingly transformed reality, turning chaos into beauty. Though she began by working with the classic “point and shoot” style, she eventually began to incorporate more artistic elements into her photography, eventually becoming the talented contemporary artist she is today.

One of Courtney’s latest works.

Thematically, her work varies from piece to piece, but her current focus on the German language with an underlying focus on social issues ties the majority of her works together. One noticeable theme within many of her works is that of feminism, which Courtney works hard to prove is “not a dirty word.” By dissecting many of the societal expectations placed on women, and by exploring the role of beauty in particular, many, if not all, of the pieces found on her instagram are incredibly thought provoking.

Easily offended viewers, look away! Actually, don’t, because honestly it is 2016 and the female body is not a shameful thing.

While Courtney says that it was only quite recently that she began identifying herself as an artist, her work tells a very different story; that of a young woman who has put years of effort into her work, and whose creations continue to evolve and transform, yet always showcase a stunning degree of creativity and intuition about what will photograph well. As Courtney continues to pursue her studies, so too will her art continue to evolve, as it is above all new experiences and education that inspire her and encourage her growth as an artist. No matter how her style grows and changes, viewers can be sure that this rising contemporary artist will continue to produce works that are both visually stunning and thought provoking, and Courtney’s instagram is certainly worth keeping an eye on! And, to any aspiring artists out there, allow Courtney’s artistic journey to inspire you, because as she says, “you have to keep creating, otherwise you will become that other person. Keep doing what makes your heart beat, what makes you look forward to the next day.”

Born and raised in the beautiful Victoria BC, Alexandra is currently attending the University of Victoria. Currently, she is working towards a B.A in History, with a minor in applied ethics. Alexandra is the coordinator of the UVSS Food Bank and Free Store, and volunteers for AIDS Vancouver Island, the Together Against Poverty Society, and the Students for Literacy Foundation. She is passionate about social justice, and enjoys having a job that enables her to serve as an activist for economic equality and sustainable food initiatives. Alexandra is currently a member of Girls on Boards, a G(irls)20 initiative, as well as the IMPACT! Youth Sustainability Leadership Program. Alongside her passion for activism and volunteering, Alexandra is also an avid writer, a dog lover, and a huge fan of brunch. Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexandraAges
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison