This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Now, more than ever, people are running out of shows to watch as they are stuck at home with little to distract them from the horrifying reality that is the world right now. Maybe you’re sick of listening to the same music, of rewatching Brooklyn 99, and maybe, for the first time in your life, you’ve read every book on your bookshelf. Don’t despair: Canadian content is here for you. This short compilation of Canadian content and its creators will keep you entertained throughout your quarantine (and hopefully afterward as well). 

The Arkells

In my household, music is an essential part of every day spent at home. Picking the right tunes for our dishwashing/jam sessions is vital to the household balance. To get pumped up for the day and get a little bit optimistic, check out The Arkells’ 2018 album “Rally Cry” or their latest single “Years in the Making.” They’re also doing their part to flatten the curve by hosting daily music lessons on Instagram, where you can see live tutorials and get sheet music for their hit songs!

CBC’s Uncover

Sometimes listening to music gets old, and you need something you can sink your teeth into while you clean your room. If you’re like me and love true crime and investigative journalism, you’ll be obsessed with CBC’s Uncover. One of my favourite seasons so far was Season 2, Bomb on Board, which investigates the tragic crash of Canadian Pacific Flight 21, which exploded in mid-air on July 8, 1985, and went down near 100 Mile House, British Columbia.

Kurtis Conner

For quirky editing, cutting commentary and an extra greeting if you subscribe, Kurtis Conner is the (Canadian) guy for you. Getting tired of commentary videos but not tired of laughing? You can watch clips of his stand-up routines on his channel as well!

Deb McGrath

Comedian and improviser Debra McGrath is someone you might recognize from any number of shows you might’ve watched growing up, from Getting Along Famously to Little Mosque on the Prairie. Check out her Instagram, where she has been posting daily Insta dance parties, for a bit of fun and positivity in your day.

Tallboyz

So you love sketch comedy. You have watched Portlandia at least seven times, you grew up on shows like Saturday Night Live and This Hour Has 22 Minutes, but now you need something fresh. Tallboyz, starring four tall Toronto guys, is what you’ve been yearning for. They tackle everything from how difficult it can be to be “Tall at the Club” to ending racism with this PSA, and you can watch all of it for free on CBC Gem.

Baroness Von Sketch

If you like Tallboyz, you’ll probably like Baroness Von Sketch as well. Painfully relevant for some people out there and a warning for others: “Bangs.” You can find full episodes of Baroness on CBC Gem.

Scaachi Koul

If you’re an avid Twitter user like I am, you might have seen one or two of Scaachi’s tweets. This Canadian journalist isn’t afraid of telling it like it is in her Buzzfeed articles, which can range from scathing, hilarious and thought-provoking.  Follow her on Twitter for endearing updates on her parents, and if you haven’t read her book One Day We’ll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter, you’re missing out and should download it on your e-reader immediately.

If these aren’t enough to keep you entertained for at least two days, there’s always more Canadian content to explore. Let me know who your favourite Canadian content creator is, or what piece of Canadian art, music, or theatre you’ve been obsessed with lately, in the comments!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.