Campus Cutie: the Yellow Suit Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Identities have been revealed…even though they weren’t much of a secret to begin with. Meet HC UVic’s  Campus Cuties, the Yellow Suit Guys : Shane Gayton (left) and Austin Phye(right)! These two outgoing young men have been the ultimate campus spirit raisers. Watch out for them at any Vikes game!

YEAR: 1st

MAJOR: SG is studying Greek and Roman Studies while AP is in Engineering

HOMETOWN: Qualicum Beach

ACTIVITIES: Vikes Nation ambassadors, intramural soccer, playing a lot of Fifa, excelling at procrastinating

RELATIONSHIP STATUS:  SG is single and AP is taken

Do you consider yourself a hero/role model on campus?

SG: Role models for spirit! We bought morph suits… we’re pretty committed.

Use an ice cream flavour to describe one another.

SG: Rocky road because Austin’s a solid chocolate, but he’s a softie too and stubborn.

AP: Rainbow sherbet because Shane has a lot of different things in his personality but it all comes together.

Name something that makes you uncomfortable.

SG: Being in Wal-Mart. I’m terrified of Wal-Mart. And cough syrup. Two biggest fears in the world.

AP: Public speaking.

If you had to pick a season to describe yourself which season would it be and why?

SG: Summer because I’m always outside having fun and people always say I’m a happy positive person and my favourite colour is yellow and I’m Brazilian so I like being warm.

AP: Spring because I like it.

If you could only wear one article of clothing for the rest of your life, what would you wear?

SG: Soccer pants and an ugly Christmas sweater. I play soccer so soccer pants are the comfiest thing ever. And I have a collection of ugly Christmas sweaters.

AP: Shoes because I wouldn’t want to not wear shoes.

What’s your dream facial hair?

SG: Tony stark goatee.

AP: A full lumberjack beard

How did you guys become the Yellow Suit Guys?

SG: That was all Austin. He went out and bought them and asked if I wanted one and I said yes. I still owe him $60 for it too.

What made you think “I want to go buy yellow morph suits”?

AP: Our friend already had one, and we were already winning fan of the night at the soccer games so we decided why not take it to the next level?

Worst thing about being a Yellow Suit Guy?

SG: We can’t see very well when we put on the mask.

Best thing about being a Yellow Suit Guy?

SG: Probably all the free stuff we get from Vikes Nation and being a part of Vikes Nation.

Pick a movie or song title to describe your work ethic.

SG: There’s always a tomorrow…. I think that’s a song. Or 50/50. Half procrastination, half get it done.

AP: 30 seconds or less.

If you had to pick a building on campus to have a massive party, where would you have it?

SG: Library. There’s space [and] there’s private areas. It’s just funny to have a massive party ,which would be a lot of noise, in a place where we are supposed to be quiet.

AP: Yes, I agree!

Chandeliers or side lamps?

SG: Side lamps. Chandeliers feel too fancy plus Ikea has some really good side lamps.

AP: Chandeliers because I’m fancy like that.

Best thing about UVic?

SG: How diverse it is. Whether it’s culturally, racially, interest based, there’s something for everyone and everyone is a part of something.

Favourite song to sing in the shower?

SG: Basically anything by Ed Sheeran, or Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley

AP: I don’t sing in the shower; I usually reflect on life.

Make sure to say hey when you see these cuties around and follow their Instagram here

Originally from Richmond, British Colmbia, Jasmine Yadeta is a forth-year student at the Univeristy of Victoria. She is studying for a BSc in Psychology and Computer Science and is Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UVic. She enjoys breakfast related food items (but let's be honest, who doesn't?), movies, and salivating when in close proximety to baked goods. When not writing for HC, she loves volunteering on and off of campus, cooking with wine, and awing at the occasional puppy. She is constanly sassy, highly motivated and drinks an immense amount of coffee.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.