Campus Cutie: Georgia Pike and Grainger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

This week’s Campus Cuties are an inseparable pair! Meet Georgia and her Seeing Eye dog, Grainger. It’s Grainger’s responsibility to help Georgia navigate campus, but for a working dog, he’s got a lot of sass. Georgia can more than keep up, though.

YEAR Second year

MAJOR Psychology

HOMETOWN Kelowna

ACTIVITIES Walking the dog, going for coffee, going to the beach, socializing (sometimes), running in an open field, thrift shopping

RELATIONSHIP STATUS Single as a Pringle

HC: What is the most likely place to find you on campus?

Georgia: Biblio. I like hanging out at my Biblio.

Grainger: I love the quad—it’s so much fun. I’m going to launch a campaign against my mummy for not letting me go there enough. It’s just terrible.

HC: What is the best thing about UVIC?

Georgia: There’s a lot of good things about UVic. I would say that the campus itself is really pretty. The people are also really nice and super willing to help out and really approachable.

Grainger: I like how everybody’s so sloppy in the cafeteria. I get to lick everything on the ground, and as long as my mummy doesn’t catch me, everything is golden. When I leave at night, it has been a successful campaign if I have licked the floor at least ten times.

HC: What is your favourite ice cream flavour?

Georgia: Chocolate. Anything to do with chocolate. Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie, that’s the best. Chocolate and strawberry mixed together are delish, too.

Grainger: Well, my mummy likes chocolate, so I must like it, too, because I try to eat everything that she eats—so I’m guessing chocolate would be the answer. I’m guessing it would taste like Milk-Bones on top of Milk-Bones, with Milk-Bone sauce on top. In fact, maybe I would like Milk-Bone ice cream.

HC: When’s your birthday?

Georgia: June 18

Grainger: October 15 (I just turned two!)

HC: What is something you can’t stand shopping for?

Georgia: Apples. I can never find the right kind of apple. I always just really want a crunchy one that the skin doesn’t peel off of as soon as you bite it and that’s not too sour, but it’s like a never ending battle. When you do find the right one, it’s so rewarding, but then you only usually get, like, four apples, and then when you go back the next time, it’s a different batch.

Grainger: I hate it when I go into the grocery store, and my mummy starts shopping for apples! Because we go back and forth, and she’s feeling all of them, and she goes, “Grainger, sit! Grainger, stand up! Grainger, sit again!” and I’m just like, “grrrrrr.”

HC: Who’s your Celebrity Crush?

Georgia: Who isn’t my celebrity crush? Umm … Joseph Gordon-Levitt. That’s appropriate to like, right?

Grainger: I love Air Bud! He is my hero. I would love to meet him.

HC: What is your favourite thing about your major?

Georgia: I would say it’s how many electives you can take and how it’s a really well rounded education and you can go more science-y or more artsy. I’ve been debating which way I should go all weekend.

Grainger: Well, I love it when my mummy has classes in the Engineering and Computer Science Building because it’s so swanky—I feel like royalty when I go in there! And everybody’s looking at me, and I’ve got my swagger on, and I just feel like I’m on cloud nine, so anything that my mummy does in the ECS building is my forte.

HC: What are three words to describe yourself?

Georgia: Thoughtful, funny, good at counting.

Grainger: I am wiggly, I am wriggly, I am Grainger.

HC: What is your biggest guilty pleasure?

Georgia: What isn’t my guilty pleasure? Sitting in bed all day and eating ice cream.

Grainger: Sometimes, when my mommy leaves me alone in the room, I look left, and I look right, and then I go through the garbage bin. I try not to tell mummy, and I try to keep it secret, but every once in a while, I get some paper stuck to my face, and then she’ll come in the room and go, “Grainger!” And I say, “What? Leave me alone.”

HC: What is one thing you can’t live without?

Georgia: A dog.

Grainger: Milk-Bones! And also maybe my mother.

HC:  If you had to give one piece of advice to a large group of people, what would you say?

Georgia: Be yourself. That sounds so cheesy, but it’s so true. Over my million years of being old, I’ve learned that the only person who you need to please in life is yourself, and the only person who is going to make you happy in life is you, and so try to feel comfortable in your own skin.

Grainger: I would say just wiggle! Wiggle and wiggle and wiggle! That’s all you have to do, and then everybody will love you. 

Originally from Surrey, British Columbia, Arianna Cheveldave is a fourth-year student at the University of Victoria. As a writing major with a professional communication minor, Arianna is proud to be the managing editor of Her Campus at UVic. She loves Italian food, national flags, and having a clean desk. When not locked in her room studying, she enjoys choral singing, watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and reading things that aren't textbooks. Depending on the occasion, she is known to always have ready a quick remark, a listening ear, or a bad pun.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.