This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

“Back in Black” by AC/DC

Released in July of 1980, this is by far the best song to jam out to. Your mom loves this song, your dad loves this song and your 3-year-old cousin rocks out hard whenever he hears it. Throw this on and move your head to the beat while you run over equations or try and work through six chapters of history. It’ll drown out the world and make you feel pretty pumped as well.

The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack

If you share my love for geek culture, odds are you’ve spent many a day studying with Howard Shore’s The Lord of the Rings soundtrack streaming on your iPod. Mostly instrumental, it calms the nerves and keeps you focused, allowing for optimal studying. Warning: excessive exposure may cause intense need to binge-watch the trilogy. Listen at own risk (you’ll love it anyway!).

“Skinny Love” by Bon Iver

Sometimes, it’s hard to sit back and get into that novel you’re supposed to be reading for English. I totally know how you feel. Adding music to the mix can sometimes make it difficult, especially if it’s easy to sing along to, but luckily, we have Bon Iver! I don’t know about you, but if it wasn’t for lyric videos on YouTube, I would be lost. Humming along and hitting the only few words I know works for me. Bon Iver is sure to help you chill out and keep working.

“Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major” by Mozart

It’s common belief that babies who listen to classical music grow up to be smarter and better learners. Even if it’s too late for you, give old Wolfgang a try! YouTube is filled with full symphonies that last hours, meaning that you don’t need to change the song or create a new playlist on iTunes. Mozart steadies the pulse, and if people walk by, they’ll totally think you’re cultured. Two birds, one stone my friend. Happy studying!

“Crystallized” by Young the Giant

Do you like the idea of jamming out to some modern music while you study? Then this song is definitely for you. If you’re the type who wishes to block out the world when they study, give this track a try. The majority of Young the Giant’s new album, Mind Over Matter, is fairly upbeat and jam-out worthy, but this particular song really makes me want to pump out eight papers in an hour.

“Unbound” by Cathedrals

Prefer to study to chill, mellow music? This track is a must-have. It is a little short, clocking in at 3 minutes and 22 seconds, but it’s a worthy addition to any study playlist. Listen at a relatively low volume for prime studying, and try not to break the replay button.

I am a second year English major at UVic! Originally from Ontario, I came to the West Coast to admire the mountains and soak in some sunshine; between the bouts of rain, of course! I'm a lover of reading and writing, and a Netflix junky as well.
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.