There are moments in our life when words fail. I like to think that it is not for a lack of words but simply a result of us never having learned a word that adequately describes our particular thoughts. Here are five lovely words to put in your pocket. Hopefully, they will help you when you’re at a loss for words.

Audacity (noun)

a. Boldness, daring, intrepidity; confidence.

b. A bold departure from the conventional form; daring originality.

Debauchery (noun)

Vicious indulgence in sensual pleasures.

Ennui (noun)

The feeling of mental weariness and dissatisfaction produced by want of occupation, or by lack of interest in present surroundings or employments.

Cantankerous (adjective)

Showing an ill-natured disposition; ill-conditioned and quarrelsome, perverse, cross-grained.

Mellifluous (adjective)

Figurative. Of speech, words, music, etc.: sweet, honeyed; pleasant-sounding, flowing, musical.

If you have a favourite word, I’d love to hear it. Send us a message and we’ll add it to our next beautiful word list.

Kate is a linguistics major at the University of Victoria. Although she is only 22 years old, Kate is truly a granny at heart. She could not imagine a world in which sweaters, dogs, coffee, and brunch did not exist. In her spare time Kate likes to create inspirational quotes to live by. Her quote of the moment is "Life is a party and I have the streamers!"