This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The Bachelor has been on the air for 40 seasons over the span of 18 years. And yet, throughout the show, there has only been one Black Bachelor. In 2021, Matt James made history when he was announced as the Bachelor of Season 25. 

In June 2020, ABC’s president, Karey Burke, stated that she felt Matt James’ casting was a step forward in terms of representation and dealing with the show’s lack of diversity, “This is just the beginning and we will continue to take action with regard to diversity issues on this franchise. We feel so privileged to have Matt as our first Black Bachelor and we cannot wait to embark on this journey with him.” 

This news comes after fans have been petitioning since May 2020 for the franchise to do better in terms of representation and anti-racism.  Requests include hiring a BIPOC casting consultant, casting at least 35% BIPOC contestants,  condemning racist abuse against BIPOC contestants, and offering a clear plan for how the franchise will work on being anti-racist. Having a Black Bachelor is simply the beginning of the work The Bachelor needs to do. 

The Bachelor has struggled with controversies surrounding racist behaviour from contestants and hosts for a long time. For example, last month, photos of current Bachelor contestant Rachael Kirkconnell attending an “Old South” Antebellum party surfaced. If you didn’t know, Antebellum parties celebrate a pre-Civil War-era South. Attendees dress up in period clothing and glorify the era of the Confederacy and all the violence, racism, and horror of that time in history.  Kirkconnell has since apologized for her racist actions with an Instagram post, but the problematic behaviour doesn’t stop there. 

To make matters worse, current Bachelor host Chris Harrison appeared on Bachelor alumna Rachel Lindsay’s talk show and tried to defend Kirkconnell’s actions by asking Lindsay (a Black woman) if Kirkconnell’s photos weren’t “a good look in 2018, or in 2021?” By asking this question, Harrison implied that in 2018 people weren’t as aware of racism as in 2021 and that maybe her problematic behaviour wasn’t such a big deal. Harrison has also apologized with an Instagram post and has temporarily resigned from the franchise. Many of the contestants on Matt James’ season issued a statement in mid-February that denounced the racist behaviour perpetrated by the franchise and showed their support for Lindsay. 

The Bachelor has an obvious diversity issue, and changes need to be made. Clearly ABC’s response to the pleas to combat racism is not enough; the franchise has still given Kirkconnell and Harrison, two people who have demonstrated racist behaviour, a platform. The franchise needs to lead by example and vow to vet contestants who have shown problematic and prejudiced behaviour against BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and disabled people. They also need to give more equitable screen time to BIPOC people and demonstrate a zero-tolerance policy for racism. Representation and action matter, and it is up to The Bachelor to demonstrate how it wants to be remembered. 

To sign a campaign for Anti-Racism in The Bachelor franchise, click here.

To learn more about the Black Lives Matter movement, click here.

Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.