Anas Cheema: Leader and Adventure Seeker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity: Anas Cheema! Anas is a fourth year student studying economics and finance. As of this year, Anas is the Director of Finance and Operations for the UVSS, a Community Leader with ResLife and continues his involvement with the International Student Association (ISA), to raise cultural awareness and promote diversity on campus. While it is hard to imagine this guy ever having free time, Anas manages to squeeze in time working out at the gym, following his passion for cycling, and working with the SOS Children’s Villages organization. (Did I mention he raised $5000 for SOS last summer by biking across Canada?)

Anas began his post secondary education at an international university in Malaysia before transferring to Uvic in his second year. Coming from a very diverse background, his first year at Uvic was challenging, adapting to the new culture, new language, and meeting new people. Given his struggles, Anas decided to establish a new club –ISA – that focused on the needs and interests particular to international students. Beginning as a Facebook group, ISA has grown into the largest club on campus with over 2000 members! ISA runs a number of events to welcome new international students at UVIC including Airport Greet and shuttle service, city tours, and a weekend full of fun activities. Throughout the year ISA keeps on organizing, outdoor trips, potlucks, movie nights, Cultural Festivals to keep the international community engaged at UVIC.  To Anas, nothing is more important than taking risks and broadening one’s own perspective of the world, a value he uses to drive himself and his endeavours.

Looking to the future, Anas’s main focus is on traveling. Although already having backpacked to 34 countries, Anas believes you can always gain more perspective and learn something new. He also wishes to continue working and fundraising with SOS Children’s Villages. In terms of future endeavours, Anas would like to pursue a career in international relations and development. Be sure to say hi to this stud when you see him!

Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community. 
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.