Amazing Backpacking Destinations for Student Budgets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Are you tired of sitting in your apartment scrolling through your Instagram feed, looking at pictures of beautiful locales? Think it’s finally time to grab your passport and experience the exotic destinations featured in those beautiful pictures yourself? Here are some amazing backpacking destinations for those broke college students who want to see the world!

Thailand

It’s easy to see why this Asian destination is so popular with students. Thailand is the perfect spot for backpackers wanting to explore temples, visit beautiful beaches, and eat delicious cuisines. Thailand’s famous full moon parties happen on the island of Koh Phangan, and the island of Koh Phi Phi is a little slice of paradise. Budget travellers can get by with around $30 a day. Staying in hostels would help cut costs, and provide the perfect location to meet other like-minded adventurers.

Peru

This South American destination is a change from the Asian countries that usually come to mind when you think “budget backpacking.” Peru is the perfect place to brush up on your Spanish! You can soak up the rich Peruvian culture in cities such as Lima and Cusco, or explore the traces of the ancient Inca empire by hiking through lush rainforest up to Machu Picchu. In Lima, a hostel can run up to about $10 per night, making this a friendly place to those on a budget. What are you waiting for? Book your ticket!

India

India is a large subcontinent jam-packed with culture. Backpackers can experience the sunset on the Ganges River, visit beautiful beaches in Goa, visit monastery temples cut from rock at the Ellora Caves, speed around in tuk-tuks, and eat lots of Indian food. All of this can be experienced on a student budget, with numerous affordable accomodations all around the country. Just make sure you carve out enough time to experience all this country has to offer!

I am a student at the University of Victoria, who is in love with the west coast!
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison