This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

For years I’ve struggled with my hair. Managing curls is, unfortunately, no easy task. My curls are usually caught somewhere between ultra fuzzy and super defined. When it came to wondering how to style it, how to brush it, or even what kind of haircut I should get, it always seemed like there was so much information out there and that none of it pertained to my hair. So after a while of researching, trying, failing and learning I’m ready to share my newfound curly expertise. Whether you’re a curly girl newbie or a seasoned expert, I hope you’ll learn a trick or two from me!

PRODUCTS

Shampoo and Conditioner 

Let’s start with the basics. When it comes to choosing your shampoo and conditioner, the most important thing is choosing products that suit your individual curl needs. In general, you should always aim to avoid shampoos and conditioners that contain certain ingredients. Ingredients like DMDM hydantoin, Parabens, Sulfate and Silicone can be particularly harmful to curly hair as they can lead to dryness and damage. Buyer beware: even some products specifically targeted to curls can contain these harsh ingredients. The best way to avoid damage is by choosing natural products. 

If you’re looking to splurge a little bit, the Davines LOVE Curl Shampoo and Conditioner is a great pick. If you need a drugstore-priced product that still works well, the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner are formulated to cleanse, and provide shine and moisture to your hair all while providing a great base. 

Curl Cream & Gel

Curl creams and gels help lock in your coils and combat frizz. My favourite (and affordable) curl creams range from the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Defining Lotion, the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Smoothie, and the Noughty Wave Hello Curl Cream. For gels, the Dippity Doo Girls with Curls gel and the Shea Moisture Castor Oil Gel are lifesavers. 

Tools

A lot of curly girls don’t realize that brushing is necessary. The Denman Brush has a special design that helps lock products into your tresses. 

A hairdryer with a special diffuser attachment can help add volume and definition to your curls. The Devacurl Diffuser has a special design that helps volumize and define. Try this Revlon attachment for a cheaper alternative.

Leave-ins

If you really want to maintain your curls while growing long tresses, deep conditioners are the way to go! Apply this Shea Moisture Deep Conditioner once every two weeks to help stimulate growth and nourish your hair. 

Extras (not necessary, but can help!)

Using this John Frieda Mousse if you’re short on time and can’t do your entire routine can help create defined curls and volume. 

This John Frieda Curly Hair Spray can help prime and refresh your curls.

Routine

Now that we have the products to work with, it’s time to learn how to use them. 

Once you’ve shampooed and conditioned your hair (make sure it’s still wet), take a quarter-sized amount of curl cream and run it through your hair. You can separate your hair into sections and do it section by section or you can just run it through your full head of hair. Then, take a quarter-sized amount of gel and do the same. 

Now, gather your hair off into small or medium-sized sections. Take your Denman brush and comb it under your hair, curling your wrist when you get to the bottom in order to create a ‘flipping’ motion. I like to take strands of hair that might be a little limp and less defined and use my fingers to curl them upwards. 

Once you’ve gone through with the brush, take your hair and scrunch it with your hands. Continue this with all of the sections. Then you can use a cold air diffuser to create lots of volume (make sure you hold the hair section up to your head while drying for extra volume) or you can let your hair air dry. To maintain your curls at night, using a silk pillowcase or hair scarf can help keep your curls safe and structured. 

Haircuts

It’s safe to say that Deva Cuts have changed my life. This hair cutting technique was invented in 1994 out of a New York salon. The technique is unique in that the curly hair is cut while it’s dry. This allows the stylist to work with your natural curly shape and pattern to give you the best cut for your curls. The Deva Cut is different from traditional haircuts where the stylist works with your wet and brushed hair, which can cause an uneven and unflattering cut. After the hair is cut dry, the stylist washes and styles it. I 100% recommend looking for a stylist who is trained in the Deva Cut technique.

So now that you’re equipped with a basic routine and products, it’s time to start practicing styles! Take time to see what works best with your hair; often 2a, b or c style curls require less effort to manage than 4a, b or c curls. With a little practice, you’ll have the curls of your dreams in no time.

Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.